X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antarctic Tartan

Does anyone know how to get their hands on the Antarctic tartan? I've seen pictures of it on some posts here and on other websites, and I would love to make a dance kilt out of it someday-but I know it's copyrighted (trademarked?) by the UK Antarctic Heritage Trust. I don't mind getting it custom woven, I just don't even know where to start getting permission from the UKAHT after scouring their website for contact details. Does anyone else have any hints?

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try contacting the UK Antarctica Heritage Trust directly.

I found them to be very accommodating when I placed orders for kilt fabric.

If they do not have any fabric on hand they can put you in touch with who may or recommend a weaver.

Tel:+44 (0)1223 355049
    Email: info@ukaht.org
    Address: High Cross, Madingley Road, Cambridge CB3 0ET, UK
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had one, sold it after I lost weight. A beautiful tartan. Mine was kind of bootlegged. My kiltmaker was able to buy some cloth through the mill - I "think" it was Dalgliesh.

If my memory is correct, the UK folks were a tad disturbed at the transaction. But they were, back then, entirely unresponsive.

I got lucky. Can't hurt to have your kiltmaker ask.

Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Try contacting the UK Antarctica Heritage Trust directly.

I found them to be very accommodating when I placed orders for kilt fabric.

If they do not have any fabric on hand they can put you in touch with who may or recommend a weaver.

Tel:+44 (0)1223 355049
    Email: info@ukaht.org
    Address: High Cross, Madingley Road, Cambridge CB3 0ET, UK
    I scoured the website for a while and never found the email-that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antarctic Tartan!

Wow! That is a nice tartan!

Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I don't have the Antarctic tartan, I do have a kilt made in the Arctic tartan!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9DB80FA1-9A99-42FB-AA58-A42852A13E0C.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	38179
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8586977F-6004-4B26-BA17-7424147EE925.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	38180

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tartan was designed originally by Ros Jones, from Mull. Here's the original listing by the Scottish Tartans Authority:

Designed by Rosalind Jones of Celtic Originals. A tartan to help raise money for the British Antarctic Survey, a government organisation for scientific study, and the UK Antarctic Heritage Trust, a charity which conserves the Antarctic base of Scott, Shackleton etc. It was launched on 5th May 2000 at the Chedral Flower mart in Washington DC. "White represents the ice-covered continent, ice flows, and the edge of the Antarctic Ocean. Grey represents outcropping rocks, seals and birds. Orange represents lichen, Emperor and King penguin (head) plumage. Yellow also represents penguin plumage and the summer midnight sun. Black and white together depict penguins and whales. Pale blue represents crevasses in the ice and shallow blue icy waters on the ice shelves, whilst dark midnight blue represents the deep Antarctic Ocean and the darkness of the Antarctic winter. The design is based upon the Antarctic?s geography. The light square of white at the edge of the sett represents the light of the Antarctic summer on the ice-covered continent. This is quartered by threads of pale blue. These represent the zero / 360, 90, 180, and 270 lines of longitude. The point where they cross represents the South Pole. Two bands of grey surrounding the white heart depicts nunataks, mountain ranges, and exposed coastal rocks. Around the coast Antarctica?s life forms are found so the colours that follow in the sett, orange, yellow, black and white, represent the wealth of animal life on land and in the seas. Orange also represents the lichens that encrust the rocks. Surrounding the land, pale blue and white depict the ice shelves whilst the outside is edged by bands of midnight blue for the ocean deeps and dark winters. Each sett is separated by a thin band of white that represents the edge of Antarctica. Where these cross, the Southern Cross is depicted. This viewed diagonally also represents the Scottish saltire, tribute that 2001 is the centenary of Scott?s first expedition to the Antarctic in 1901. This tartan was authorised by B.A.S. - British Antarctic Survey to raise funds for the U.K. Antarctic Heritage Trust. The tartan is sold in several parts of the world - including Port Lockroy in Antarctica."
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our daughter and her best friend danced for years in the Antarctic and the Arctic respectively. Both pleated to the stripe:

And our daughter's Antarctic kilt from the back; my son-in-law's kilt is Highland Granite (that's the kilt that Steve bought from me years ago when I made a new kilt for Ken for their wedding):

Last edited by Barb T; 18th February 20 at 06:40 PM.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post: