X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltmakers Laird View Post
    It could be that the measurements are a bit off but by the looks of the photo its a kicking pleat, it means the kiltmaker has not put the fold of the first pleat high enough into the waistband. There's a simple fix if you want pm me.
    Nikki
    I'd love to hear your idea, and I'm sure others reading this thread would as well.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dreaghann For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry if someone has already said this but one of the lesser known reasons for wearing a kilt pin is to add some weight to that corner and stop any lifting of the apron.

I bet this would fix your problem entirely.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltmakers Laird View Post
    ...by the looks of the photo its a kicking pleat, it means the kiltmaker has not put the fold of the first pleat high enough into the waistband. There's a simple fix if you want pm me.
    Nikki
    I can think immediately of at least four reasons why a pleat can kick forward. Some of these have quick fixes, but most don't:

1. Not enough flare in the apron edge: this can be addressed by re-pressing the apron edge where it "wants" to fold.
    2. Failing to pull the inside edge of the deep pleat up to the top edge of the kilt. Even though it is a diagonal fold, the inside edge must be pulled up, skewed, and steam pressed so that it matches the tartan line in the apron. This can be fixed, but you have to take out the lining and canvas and top band to re-press and fix it. Pressing the left apron edge over a ham can also help encourage the apron edge to shape around the body toward the pleats.
    3. Too little circumference in the hips. This can can cause the kilt to have a "tilt" that results in the first pleat flopping open (see my pics earlier in this thread). There is no simple fix for this unless you want to completely rebuild the kilt and there is actually enough tartan in the kilt to do so.
    4. Body shape. if the person wearing the kilt has really muscular thighs or is a woman with pudgins on the outside of the thighs, the kilt has to go around a larger circumference below the bottom of the fell than at the bottom of the fell. This causes the first pleat (or even 2 or 3 pleats) to open up. Honestly? There is really very little you can do about this. Some extreme shaping of the left apron edge can help, but it isn't entirely fixable, let alone an "easy fix". I know this for a fact, because that is how my own kilt fits because of my body shape.
    5. Anyone else want to add a 5th, 6th, or 7th possibility and solution?

And I might add that I realize you are a new member, but this is a forum where people are incredibly helpful and generous about sharing solutions. It's odd to find a post that suggests that people have to send a PM to find out some kind of secret squirrel solution.
    Last edited by Barb T; 25th February 20 at 08:53 PM.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewSinclairYoung View Post
    Sorry if someone has already said this but one of the lesser known reasons for wearing a kilt pin is to add some weight to that corner and stop any lifting of the apron.

It's not the free edge that's the problem - it's the other side of the apron from where you would put a kilt pin.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Andrew, I'm sorry but that thing about a kilt pin designed to hold the kilt down is one of those enduring myths. The kilt pin is nothing more that the equivalent of a lady wearing a brooch. That little glint of bling to the outfit.

A heavy pin can distort the way an apron hangs just as much.

A well fitted kilt should never need a pin and a poor kilt, well, not even a pin will help, as you can see it the photos.

But as Barb says it is not the right side of the kilt that is the primary problem. It is the left side.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewSinclairYoung View Post

Whoever told you that? With the greatest of respect, you have been misinformed.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerkinkade View Post
    I'd love to hear your idea, and I'm sure others reading this thread would as well.
    I will post up pics soon, I have been away from my workroom and have a few kilts on the go at the mo.

Nikki

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Kiltmakers Laird For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same issue (left edge front apron protruding) on a kilt i received a couple of months ago which looks exactly the same issue as in these pictures - this thread was the prompt for me to fix it. I just unstitched the little fold inside the pleat which stops it hanging down, repressed the apron edge and restitched the fold a little further along (Barbara's solution number one). This took me 10 minutes and only involved literally half an inch extra on the apron to sort it - no drama! And it now sits perfectly
    Last edited by AbernethyCameron; 26th February 20 at 08:30 AM.
    To the King over the water

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to AbernethyCameron For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marvy!!!! Go you!

17. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Readers of this thread might be interested to hear that the vendor says this kilt hangs exactly as intended when worn loosely at the hips (not immediately below the ribs as advised in this thread). Their response is summarized in this thread.

Lest there be any misunderstanding, I agree with the advice given in the present thread, not the vendor's.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast