X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCathmhaoil View Post
    The sleeve on the right belongs to a balmoral type doublet made by William Anderson in 1958 for an uncle. The buttons are riveted cut steel buttons that came from one of the great-grandfathers court dress and are original to the doublet.
    The sleeve on the left has sterling silver buttons that are copies cast from the original buttons on the balmoral. A friend is a jeweller and cast them for me, thankfully at cost! They can be removed to polish them but I found it’s much easier/quicker to use a button plate that slips behind them to protect the velvet and polish them in place. I did have extras cast of the smaller buttons for a waistcoat and matching cuff links.
    I used to have a 'button plate' but cannot find it. Any ideas where to source one?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I used to have a 'button plate' but cannot find it. Any ideas where to source one?
    Some WW1 ones on eBay. Scroll down - https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/874652775

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCathmhaoil View Post
    The sleeve on the right belongs to a balmoral type doublet made by William Anderson in 1958 for an uncle. The buttons are riveted cut steel buttons that came from one of the great-grandfathers court dress and are original to the doublet.
    The sleeve on the left has sterling silver buttons that are copies cast from the original buttons on the balmoral. A friend is a jeweller and cast them for me, thankfully at cost! They can be removed to polish them but I found it’s much easier/quicker to use a button plate that slips behind them to protect the velvet and polish them in place. I did have extras cast of the smaller buttons for a waistcoat and matching cuff links.
    Attachment 38645
    Those are very nice and such a treat to have something handed down in the family.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are very special to me, not an easy chore to locate a complete set these days. Ede and Ravenscroft have a number of sets reserved for Lord High Sheriff ceremonial dress and will not part with any. It was easier and less expensive to have new ones cast in sterling silver than to purchase a complete matching set for the other jacket!
    Being male is a matter of birth,
    Being a man is a matter of maturity,
    Being a gentleman is a matter of choice!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Some WW1 ones on eBay. Scroll down - https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/874652775
    You're kind, and thanks. A little steep by the time I arrange for shipping; perhaps I'll redouble my efforts to find the old family one.

Thanks though!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brass Button Stick

Here are some Father Bill, about £11.00 with shipping!

https://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/brass-button-stick.html
    Being male is a matter of birth,
    Being a man is a matter of maturity,
    Being a gentleman is a matter of choice!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacCathmhaoil For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. Thank you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123