X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anndrais is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crossed or straight sporran tassels

Hi all!

I hope this is the right section for this...

I’d like to ask for opinions on straight vs. crossed sporran tassels. Is this purely a matter of personal taste, or are there any practical considerations? I like the look of crossed tassels, but many of the photos I’ve seen (non commercial) with crossed tassels, they appear lopsided. I don’t want to have to keep checking my sporran every 5 minutes!

If anybody has any thoughts on this, I’d love to know.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Anndrais For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you are overthinking the whole thing. If you like a certain style of sporran tassel then wear them.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Anndrais is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I think that you are overthinking the whole thing. If you like a certain style of sporran tassel then wear them.
    Thanks for the reply I could well be overthinking it - but as I have no experience, I just wanted to check with those that have. For all I know, there could be a chorus of guys saying “crossed tassels may look nice, but they won’t stay in place and every time you sit or stand, you have to untangle and straighten them.” - I like the crossed look very much, but not when it’s wonky - which I’ve seen in quite a few photos.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anndrais View Post
    Thanks for the reply I could well be overthinking it - but as I have no experience, I just wanted to check with those that have. For all I know, there could be a chorus of guys saying “crossed tassels may look nice, but they won’t stay in place and every time you sit or stand, you have to untangle and straighten them.” - I like the crossed look very much, but not when it’s wonky - which I’ve seen in quite a few photos.
    I can’t say that I have ever noticed! In truth, from a practical point of view, I have no personal experience of that style of sporran and in my experience it is not a style of sporran that I see very often around here.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 19th February 20 at 07:30 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anndrais,

Is this what you mean by crossed tassles? http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-refurb-91852/
    It took me a bit to get the balance of the chains correct, but they have never been an issue with tangling or other.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be easy enough to take a couple jump rings and attach the chains together in the position that you want them...
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Katia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    Anndrais,

Is this what you mean by crossed tassles? http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-refurb-91852/
    It took me a bit to get the balance of the chains correct, but they have never been an issue with tangling or other.
    I can see that would be quite hard to balance right! It looks great though! The style I was thinking of is more like this:

grey-seal-skin-stag-black1.jpg

I think perhaps the bells end up sliding/jumping a link or two when sitting and then not returning to centre when standing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katia View Post
    It would be easy enough to take a couple jump rings and attach the chains together in the position that you want them...
    Good point. I suppose it might be possible to use a very fine thread to secure each bell to the chain link it's supposed to be on - then they couldn't slide to the left or right and would always be centred

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anndrais View Post
    The style I was thinking of is more like this:

grey-seal-skin-stag-black1.jpg
    That chain arrangement is nice if you don't want the tassels swinging back and forth as you walk.

Wow there's a lot of stuff going on with that cantle. Those things coming in from the sides with the thistles on them remind me of pull-tabs on beverage cans. Personally I'd like a more thought-out and internally consistent design, without all the overlapping things.

Pretty sure it was designed using a Graphic Design program and clip-art.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd February 20 at 08:09 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cantle is one often used by Margaret Morrison, WE Scott and others in Scotland. I seem to recall one of Kate Macpherson's african sporrans (a jackal?) with this cantle, too. I'll ask her
    where they come from
    when I see her next -- or maybe someone else could research that for this thread -- but I suspect an off-shore lower-labour-cost producer than will ever be found in Europe or the US of A.

The cantle is not really as unusual as you think. The little 'pull tabs' are found on many 19C silver-mounted sporrans. They were usually round protrusions, and not quite as nose-like as this one, perhaps, but still there are examples in the centuries of design craftsmanship and before these last few years of computer-generated fashion.

All of these things are personal preferences and time-sensitive, of course.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the 'new' crossed-chain-tassel design. But neither was I much fond of the so-called 'hunter' when it became fashionable. The latter seems now to be fairly reasonable, in my mind (although I wish they could rename it 'urban' since it has nothing to do with 'hunting') I suppose that's my acceptance of another move forward in the tradition of TCHD.

Good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast