X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly Misleading eBay ad

I came across this ad and I think our friends from Sialkot may be trying to pull one over on some of the more easily lead...

GENUINE US MILITARY ISSUE MANS KILT -SIZE MANS 36"W

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F184003430237

While I’m no expert on the U.S. military, I am relatively certain they don’t generally issue kilts and if they did I doubt they be acrylic!
    Being male is a matter of birth,
    Being a man is a matter of maturity,
    Being a gentleman is a matter of choice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who spent 31 years, 7 months, and 7 days working for Uncle Sam, I can most certainly assure you that the US military does NOT issue kilts.
    "My beloved America, thank you for your children. If your children want to become soldiers I will train them. When they are hungry I will feed them. When they are thirsty I will give them water. When they fight for freedom I will lead them. When they are unsteady on the battlefield I will motivate them. If they die on the battlefield I will bury them. So help me God."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The Kilt" is the brand name used for all the Tartan Tat from Gold Brothers, and it's probably the guys from Sialkot who make them for such shops. These are the £50 Polyviscose ones that are in the typical tartans of Hamilton Grey, Black Watch, Black Stewart, Royal Stewart and a dubious tartan called Freedom. Avoid.
    Kilted Technician!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thecompaqguy View Post
    "The Kilt" is the brand name used for all the Tartan Tat from Gold Brothers, and it's probably the guys from Sialkot who make them for such shops. These are the £50 Polyviscose ones...
    Yes, my first kilt is "The Kilt" from a tourist shop in Edinburgh. I wanted to wait and research for my first kilt, my wife wanted to experience a kilted man "tonight." I figured I should be the one, so...

It has served me well for a starter kilt and is my preferred kilt for pub crawls so that I preserve the wooly one.

I sent a note to the seller of the ebay item suggesting that he modify the description. We'll see.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ibrew4u For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thecompaqguy View Post
    "The Kilt" is the brand name used for all the Tartan Tat from Gold Brothers, and it's probably the guys from Sialkot who make them for such shops.
    It's hard to keep up with the Singh brothers (Surinder, Galab, and Dildar).

As of 2013 they owned and operated 19 different firms in Scotland including some with legitimate-sounding names like John Morrison Kiltmakers and Ballantrae Cashmere.

There are over 30 firms in Scotland owned by just three entities: the Singh brothers (19) Edinburgh Woolen Mill (6) and Pauline Sweeney (9 if you include Ebay-only subsidiaries).
    Last edited by OC Richard; 25th February 20 at 05:44 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another give-away, in the description: “ TWO 3.5" LOOPS AT THE FRONT”
    Apparently they think one wears the pleats in the front!
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibrew4u View Post
    Yes, my first kilt is "The Kilt" from a tourist shop in Edinburgh. I wanted to wait and research for my first kilt, my wife wanted to experience a kilted man "tonight." I figured I should be the one, so...
    Same. With the exception that mine was canvas/denim.