X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

36" waist 22 or 23" drop kilt

What sorts of kilts do you guys have that you need to move in this size? I'm really in the market for something more traditional, but won't turn my nose up at polyviscose during warmer weather. I am not a fan of casual kilts with a velcro waist.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would help if we had just a few more details.

One of the things we learn here is that a kilt is far more than a waist size and length.

For example - Where did you measure the waist?
    Did you use a tape measure or is this your pants size?
    Do you know your hip circumference?
    When you say "Drop" are you referring to the total length of the kilt or to the center of the top buckles?

Then such things as - Are you looking for Off-The-Rack or someone to make this for you?
    Do you want a machine stitched kilt or a hand stitched kilt?
    You mention a Poly/Rayon blend fabric but is that what you are looking for specifically or will you concider wool?
    Do you have a particular Tartan in mind?
    Do you have a particular type of pleating in mind?

Many here are just a tiny bit more picky about our kilts than the average tourist in Scotland or the average EBay buyer.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve. Thanks for responding. I wear my kilts with the top above my belly button. The 36" measurement was taken at my navel. My bum is 33". I am 5 '7.5" tall. I can actually get away with a drop anywhere from 21.5 to 23 inches depending on how high or low I wear the kilt. 22 is my preference. I have worn kilts with a 24 inch drop, but really do not like this drop length.

I prefer wool kilts and I do not mind wool clothing in general. I live in the hot and humid southern United States. My son has a polyviscose kilt that he enjoys wearing. I understand that the synthetic kilt fabric can sometimes be preferred in warmer climates. I do wear a nontraditional utility kilt during the warmer months or when I am working outdoors.

I am not a fan of most sport kilts or casual kilts with a velcro closure, but I am not opposed to wearing them around d the house.

Basically, I'm slumming and looking for used kilts because I'm cheap. I noticed recently that several 36 inch waist kilts were sold here on the forum. At low prices. Unfortunately I spotted the same kilts on ebay for sale with greatly inflated prices. I have been a member of the forum since 2018, but I haven't been dropping in as much lately due to my busy schedule and familial commitments.

I hope that I have answered your questions adequately.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but I was not asking these questions for me.

These are just the sort of things that you need to have thought about if you want something other than a cheap, one-size-fits-all type of kilt.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an older thread but I just posted a wool kilt in those measurements in the for sale forum if you're still looking.