X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the best threads I've seen on these forums (that I actually read through before I joined) is the Kilted Fridays Adventures thread:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...entures-72206/

Reading through it gives you a great idea of what it's like to wear a kilt in just plain ol' everyday life.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    A tartan designed in America for Scottish pipe bands to celebrate an Irish holiday.
    That should be a Sticky somewhere. Brilliant!

Speaking of St Patrick's Day parades, they began in Boston in 1730s, in New York in the 1760s, in Dublin (Eire) not until the 1920s.

The pubs in Ireland were closed on St Patrick's Day, by law, until around 1970.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have formal kilt attire, and I have casual kilts. I like to wear mine hiking, general socializing, and performing if I'm doing celtic songs. I try to get dressy for Burns day especially since I sing then but I don't have Scottish kit. I have worn it horseback riding, but it takes some leg or saddle covering to not get your skin all abraded, even if wearing e.g. boxer briefs. Or cross country skiing in warm spring days as an alternative to wearing shorts.

I have found it quite inconvenient to wear a kilt while doing home or car repair, so I don't in those cases. And as somebody above noted, not at the gym, at least if you are going to do any kind of floor exercises!

Many people seem to be OK wearing them in winter, but I'm a skinny sort and we are still having below freezing mornings, so it's not likely I'll wear it outdoors in winter.
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Oilverland For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Just a thought

I too live in WA State, but I wear my kilts hail,rain or shine year round. The only thing that changes is my footwear as per the weather that given day. On several occasions I have read others state that they only wear their kilts around the house in various instances.
    Aye Yours.

VINCERE-VEL-MORI

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Laird O'the Cowcaddens For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    24/7/366(leap day) everyday, everywhere, anywhere, anytime day or night in any company without compunction and with impunity. The Highland Games scene is a terrific opportunity to go kilted. Public events, fancy dress social affairs, etc are really excellent times to punch up the attire too. For me they’re all a costume party. I am kilted daily. I have a dozen utilikilts and a few tartans. I mostly go casual at all times. I’ve forgotten where my most recent trousers were worn. Something like twelve or fifteen years ago to an interview i think. I regretted it immediately. Haven’t looked back since.
    Go, have fun, don't work at, make it fun! Kilt them, for they know not, what they wear. Where am I now?

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to morrison For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewSinclairYoung View Post
    God bless you for doing that . I live on the UES of NYC which is possibly the waspiest place in the US and I never see anyone wearing a kilt. Possibly because it’s not the kind of thing one would wear in town. Perhaps if I was somewhere more rural....
    I lived in middle England, I drive trucks for a living, and I'm wearing a kilt every day. To hell with the gain sayers and those who don't like it, I'm a Scot of Scots heritage, and it's proud I am of my heritage.
    Last edited by kilted Mnementh; 19th March 20 at 11:54 AM.

12. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to kilted Mnementh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scottish Games and Events during this recent Coonavirus Outbreak.

Under current conditions, no place in NY to wear the kilt or anything else, please let this virus end.
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 19th March 20 at 11:21 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Under current conditions, no place in NY to wear the kilt or anything else, please let this virus end.
    Untrue! Wearing it at home is an excellent and comfortable option.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

15. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any black tie events to go to, so no Prince Charlie, just daywear. With all the restrictions due to coronavirus, not much to do, but 2 times recently I wore my kilt while walking my dog (2 mile walks). I got a lot of positive comments at a safe 6 ft distance.

Dave

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Crazy Dave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
    I don't have any black tie events to go to, so no Prince Charlie, just daywear. With all the restrictions due to coronavirus, not much to do, but 2 times recently I wore my kilt while walking my dog (2 mile walks). I got a lot of positive comments at a safe 6 ft distance.

Dave
    At least now when people back away when they meet a person in a kilt you can blame it on the virus:^)

19. The Following User Says 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast