X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Places you can/should wear a kilt in New York/the US

Hi there,

Here is a question for you all—apart from Highland Games, Burns Night events and Tartan Week events(NYC) when else is is there an opportunity to wear your kilt or highland dress? I’m also part of a clan that has events which is nice but I wish there were more opportunities to proudly represent my culture.

What might I be missing in the calendar? When do you all find time to dress up?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve worn a kilt to restaurants and the theater. With a tie and jacket.

Anywhere I might wear a suit if I don’t feel it would be tacky. Otherwise I wear the suit. ;)

Only wearing a kilt to heritage events would be extremely limiting.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post

Only wearing a kilt to heritage events would be extremely limiting.
    We’re lucky to have lots of those in NYC! I guess I could wear it upstate and in the country etc. too.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear my kilts everyday, everywhere. I don't need, or look, for special events or Scottish themed events to wear them as it is my normal every day mode of dress.

But then I don't usually wear "Highland Dress" if by that you mean all the accessories.

I wear my kilts with normal shoes, and shirts. I just dress suitably for the event or occasion I am attending.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

6. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I wear my kilts everyday, everywhere. I don't need, or look, for special events or Scottish themed events to wear them as it is my normal every day mode of dress.

But then I don't usually wear "Highland Dress" if by that you mean all the accessories.

I wear my kilts with normal shoes, and shirts. I just dress suitably for the event or occasion I am attending.
    God bless you for doing that . I live on the UES of NYC which is possibly the waspiest place in the US and I never see anyone wearing a kilt. Possibly because it’s not the kind of thing one would wear in town. Perhaps if I was somewhere more rural....
    Last edited by AndrewSinclairYoung; 25th February 20 at 05:47 PM.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewSinclairYoung View Post
    I live on the UES of NYC which is possibly the waspiest place in the US and I never see anyone wearing a kilt. Possibly because it’s not the kind of thing one would wear in town. Perhaps if I was somewhere more rural....
    Perhaps you would start a trend, Andrew, or perhaps there are kilt-wearers you don't yet know. Steve lives in a City, I live in a more rural setting in Scotland and a town setting in British Columbia and wear a kilt almost daily. As Steve said: don't get 'dressed up', just wear a kilt, hose, appropriate shoes to where you are and what you are doing and, above all, feel comfortable. Try it a few times. If you still feel out-of-place and awkward, then stick to the Games and Scottish events.

9. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Thistle you’re right. I should just start the movement myself.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to AndrewSinclairYoung For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work in our capital city, Wellington here in New Zealand. Most days I wear a kilt, with a plain dress shirt and in cooler weather a jacket suited for a kilt. Boots and kilt hose, sporran and belt.

People I work and speak with most days are very accepting and complimentary.

Comments are more frequent if not wearing a kilt as to why trousers and not the kilt.

So if you want to wear a kilt often, do so and enjoy!
    He aha te mea nui o te ao?
    What is the most important thing in the world?
    He tangata, he tangata, he tangata
    It is the people, it is the people, it is the people

13. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to DaveScott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What one can do is one thing. What one should do.......based on a certain amount of knowledge and experience perhaps......is entirely another matter and in a free world, it is up to you to decide.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 26th February 20 at 01:44 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

15. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you see Andrew there's a wide range of attitudes and approaches here.

I'm on the Left Coast, Southern California.

As a working piper, Highland Dress for me is akin to an orchestral musician's tuxedo, or a Priest's chasuble: the sine qua non of performing a specific job and not something worn otherwise.

There are two exceptions for me

1) wearing Highland Dress at Scottish-themed events like Highland Games, Scottish concerts, etc.

2) since I've not owned a suit in many years, Highland Dress fills in for those rare occasions when a suit or tuxedo is expected. (Even for these events many Southern Californians appear in quite informal attire.)

Wearing Highland Dress outwith these parameters doesn't appeal to me in the least.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 26th February 20 at 07:00 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast