X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also wear a kilt everyday. Any day I am not doing anything special, i.e. most days, you will find me wearing a more casual shirt with the kilt. Knee socks but not the fancy kilt hose. If going to the Philharmonic a dress shirt, tie, and jacket. Nice kilt hose and nice shoes. Take a look at this document showing examples of wearing one kilt ten different ways. Dress the kilt up or down depending on what you are doing. Where you are going does not really matter. Well, there would be a few exceptions. If you are going to be climbing trees or zip lining you might want to reconsider.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f99/1-kilt-10-looks-visual-guide-formality-highland-attire-46888/

Mike

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Mike in Dayton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll wear a kilt when I'm not going to feel out of place. That comes down to most Fridays when folks around the work environment have come to expect seeing it casually attired, when it wouldn't matter either way, and to special and ceremonial occasions such as yesterday's opening of the Legislative Session (Speech from the Throne).
    While that doesn't specifically answer the NY/US question, it remains that occasion and opportunity are not geographically bound. Its about choice when they present.

Happy kilting

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear my kilt when ever I'm not working. I work for a railroad so the safety concerns, there is no loose clothing allowed.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually wear a kilt when i am going out to lunch or dinner with my wife on the weekend. how much i dress it up, depends on where we go. Anywhere from converse and a t-shirt, when going to the local BBQ place, to with a jacket and tie for "fancy" dinner. I have also worn it to several black tie events. But as pointed out this is the US, and we pretty much do what we want. I have worn a kilt to EPCOT at Disney World. In NYC i would not hesitate to wear it anywhere. I follow the rules that a kilt is just a replacement for shorts, pants, or slacks. If you feel comfortable with how you are dressed, then its you are dressed ok.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MikeC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear my kilts as everyday-wear. Generally with a button-up or a grandfather shirt, kilt belt, day sporran, hose, flashes (correct or not for casual wear, a kilt just looks better to me when paired with flashes IMHO), boots, and a flat cap. Whether you can get away with it or not seems to depend mostly on your comfort/confidence level - if you're confident, nobody cares. I quite regularly get compliments on what I'm wearing, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone in my town wearing a kilt outside of Celtic music festivals and such.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The short answer is anywhere you want. Will you meet those who don't understand? As you live in the U.S. I would say yes. Does that really matter? That depends, for me the more I wear the kilt, the more comfortable I am in it and coincidentally the more compliments, and less derogatory comments I hear. The good thing is that in New York you can generally do as you please.

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Andrew is still reading this thread I hope he is getting the idea that many here do not view the kilt as something that 'must' be worn with a particular set of accessories or should not be worn outside of a particular setting or event.

Many here where their kilt because they like wearing it. Some, like myself wear them everyday. So it just does not make sense to us to look like we just stepped out of some Highland Wear catalog.

A kilt is just clothing. There is no right or wrong. There are conventions granted, but no one should be able to tell you that you are wrong for how you choose to dress.

So many people seem to think that you must look like some mythical Highland laird whenever you wear a kilt. Some are so wrapped up in that belief that they don't enjoy just wearing their kilt when ever they feel like it.

Some even take this so far as to feel that they must be somehow 'entitled' to wear a kilt or a particular Tartan. We hear all the time from new people that they are afraid that they will offend someone.

Well, to that, all I can say is jump on in, the water's fine.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

14. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe start at one of these places?

....well - that link took up half a page I did a Google search for "Scottish themed bars in New York"

and came up with quite a few, try that
    “It has never been hard to tell the difference between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.”

P.G. Wodehouse.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MikePotts For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you'd be surprised

once you start wearing it how people accept and like it. I'm usually wearing when we go to Costco because we (my wife and I) have been hiking and I always go kilted to nature. Once I didn't and one of the sample ladies said "why are you wearing your kilt. I love it when you come in"
    In the "Show us your picture" thread I post my hikes etc. I don't post most of the places I go as I don't take my camera everywhere (and I don't have a cell phone) but when we go to the zoo, museums, parks or anywhere with the grandkids I go kilted. I have even made kilts (not very well I admit) for special vacations. Yellowstone 2019 My 4 grandsons in clan pokemon with matching sporrans (except one he wanted a raccoon) and me in my National parks canvas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6227a800-denoise.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	38263

18. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzbass View Post
    I have even made kilts (not very well I admit) for special vacations. Yellowstone 2019 My 4 grandsons in clan pokemon with matching sporrans (except one he wanted a raccoon) and me in my National parks canvas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6227a800-denoise.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	38263
    Clan Pokemon...I love it!

20. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast