X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes all of these responses are what I (as an American) see being worn in Scotland, both now and in the past: traditional Day Dress.

The puzzling thing for me is that, as a piper, I've played for hundreds of Scottish-themed weddings here in California, and whenever there are Scots in attendance who have flown over for the wedding they are invariably dressed in black Prince Charlies with ghillies and white hose.

I do recall one Scot in tweed, however: he was wearing a grey tweed Sheriffmuir doublet with matching kilt, an outfit I didn't care for.

Mind you, all of these weddings were daytime, and many were held outdoors.

In any case, here are vintage photos of Scottish weddings, showing how things used to be done

Last edited by OC Richard; 29th February 20 at 06:51 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes all of these responses are what I (as an American) see being worn in Scotland, both now and in the past: traditional Day Dress.

The puzzling thing for me is that, as a piper, I've played for hundreds of Scottish-themed weddings here in California, and whenever there are Scots in attendance who have flown over for the wedding they are invariably dressed in black Prince Charlies with ghillies and white hose.
    Because they probablly hired the outfits for the wedding.

In any case, here are vintage photos of Scottish weddings, showing how things used to be done

And of course at this time all the kilts are worn 'at the knee' and no white hose.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Because they probablly hired the outfits for the wedding.

And of course at this time all the kilts are worn 'at the knee' and no white hose.
    My thinking too.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For comparison: the first was at a friends wedding, my wife was a bridesmaid and the bride specifically asked me to wear my kilt, the rest of the wedding party was in morning coat (formal day dress) so black Argyll seamed appropriate; the second was my own wedding, a much less formal affair so grey tweed was the order of the day:

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OCR.

I think that you and perhaps many others outwith Scotland mistakenly assume that nearly every male in Scotland owns a kilt and attire and what is more, they know how and when to wear it. That has never been the case. I have no reliable statistics to quote but at a guess, I doubt if 20% of male Scots own a kilt and I also doubt if 10% actually know how and when to wear it!

So, hiring the kilt outfit for an occasion is the obvious route that many take from a financial viewpoint. Sadly, most of those hiring their attire do not know the finer points of wearing the kilt and appropriate attire and take the advice from the hire company. Regrettably, the end result is far from traditional.

I have just had a look in Google images at "traditional highland Scots wedding attire" and out of several hundred images, very few would qualify for my definition of "traditional highland Scots wedding attire". Although, I am pleased to note, that since I last looked a couple of years ago, I do get the feeling that there are slightly less white hose on show, slightly less black bow ties and Prince Charlies for day weddings, slightly less fly plaids and slightly less ghillie brogues to be seen.

I wonder if the hire companies in Scotland and elsewhere are now revising their attire stocks and advice after this subject was last discussed here at length, some time ago? I doubt it, but it would be nice to think so!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 1st March 20 at 10:20 AM. Reason: found my glasses.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    OCR.

I think that you and perhaps many others outwith Scotland mistakenly assume that nearly every male in Scotland owns a kilt and attire and what is more, they know how and when to wear it. That has never been the case. I have no reliable statistics to quote but at guess, I doubt if 20% of male Scots own a kilt and I also doubt if 10% actually know how and when to wear it!

So, hiring the kilt outfit for an occasion is the obvious route that many take from a financial viewpoint. Sadly, most of those hiring their attire do not know the finer points of wearing the kilt and appropriate attire and take the advice from the hire company. Sadly, the end result is far from traditional.

I have just had a look in Google images at "traditional highland Scots wedding attire" and out of several hundred images, very few would qualify for my definition of "traditional highland Scots wedding attire". Although, I am pleased to note, that since I last looked a couple of years ago, I do get the feeling that there are slightly less white hose on show, slightly less black bow ties and Prince Charlies for day weddings, slightly less fly plaids and slightly less ghillie brogues to be seen.

I wonder if the hire companies in Scotland are now revising their attire stocks and advice after this subject was last discussed here at length, some time ago? I doubt it, but it would be nice to think so!
    Jock
    As I am outside Scotland, I would like to weigh in here. For us in Canada anyway there is no illusion of every Scottish male tromping through the highlands wearing his tartan plaid (insert other stereotype here). However we are still part of the Commonwealth and I think that counts for something. For my own wedding I wore a tweed argyll, yes I wore grille brogues but that was only because at the time they were the only black shoes I had that fit and had laces, a situation I have since remedied.

I do frequent William Glen and Sons here in Toronto and was recently able to purchase a new Argyll and waistcoat for my friend Nathan's wedding, I have lost some weight and my other jackets were a bit on the loose side. I was lucky in that they had a sale going on at the time and was able to purchase a new set in Lovat Green in my new 38 size rather than wearing one of my 40 sized older sets. At any rate William Glen and Sons does do rentals of tweed day wear outfits, so I think there may be some hope.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due to the pandemic and closures, we had to cancel the May wedding trip to Scotland so we brought a bit of Scotland to a June wedding.

MacKay Blue (Morgan) Ancient tartan kilt and bride’s sash.

ED43C2F4-05B7-45EF-874A-FE4EFE11F0D2.jpeg
    Last edited by Oday450; 8th June 20 at 01:15 PM.

13. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Oday450 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations and every blessing!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not want to throw gas on the fire, but now that the couple are wed I can add that the belief that all weddings held in Scotland, by Scots, follow the TCHD rules which are so touted here is not always born out.

Here is the wedding party of one of our members. Everyone in the party lives in Scotland and the ceremony was held in Scotland.

Last edited by Steve Ashton; 8th June 20 at 02:03 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

16. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add,
    In Inverness and the Hebridies (1970s) passing (not attending ) weddings I never saw a kilt.
    In central Scotland in the 80's my sisters weddings, No one wore a kilt.
    In central Scotland in the 2000's my nephews and nieces weddings, only the Groom, and Best man wore a kilt.
    In Central Scotland in the 2010s, one or two more wore a kilt..
    Note all the kilt wearers were Prince Charlie, and white socks straight out of a hire shop.. (except me).

Most Scots see the kilt as wedding attire only, except for those wearing those cheap £50 ones to a rugby or football match..
    Last edited by The Q; 9th June 20 at 03:56 AM.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

18. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast