X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post

I stand to be corrected here, but I assume the picture was taken in the Lowlands of Scotland? If so, an area hardly renowned for traditional kilt attire, or, even "average", even these days.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 9th June 20 at 08:12 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I stand to be corrected here, but I assume the picture was taken in the Lowlands of Scotland? If so, an area hardly renowned for traditional kilt attire, or, even "average", even these days.
    Straight through my southern heart, but thanks to your own and others advice I can say I don't own white or cream hose, although I did buy dark grey, they match my jacket and waist coat so forgive me my first tentative steps into kilting (rarely worn now, prefer my greens and red hose).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that photo Steve posted bears out exactly what I was saying about the Scottish weddings I pipe at here in California, the dress of the people have flown in from Scotland, a sea of black Prince Charlies.

I have no way of knowing if it's Kilt Hire or things they own.

I was informed by an elderly Scottish woman that a black Prince Charlie was the one and only "proper" thing to wear. She spoke of it implying ancient tradition. Privately I was amused, knowing that as late as 1914 the Prince Charlie was spoken of as being "entirely modern" and as late as the 1930s was spoken of as only suitable for fashionable young men, while mature gents were expected to appear in doublets.

In any case a piper can't go wrong appearing in the typical modern piper's attire of black Argyll. A bit underdressed when everyone is in Prince Charlies, a bit overdressed if everyone is in tweed.

Last edited by OC Richard; 9th June 20 at 02:54 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OCR.
    I think that you and perhaps many others outwith Scotland mistakenly assume that nearly every male in Scotland owns a kilt...
    Not at all!

On my first trip to Scotland, in 1986, I couldn't help noticing how in nearly every home we visited there were group wedding photos to be seen, and when I asked I was told that the kilts were hired.

So I came away from that trip with the idea that hardly any Scots owned kilts, but all of them appeared in kilts at weddings. Little did I know at that time that the Kilt Hire Industry had only really taken off a decade earlier.

I saw few hire shops at that time, but on my next trip they were everywhere. There was one street in Glasgow where there was one every block. And some of the most horrific outfits you can imagine were seen.

Last edited by OC Richard; 9th June 20 at 03:09 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would always get a kick out of the guys flying into Victoria from Scotland for weddings who came to my shop for rentals.

They all asked for exactly the same outfits. Prince Charlies, Kilt Belts, White hose, Fly Plaids, Tartan flashes, and Ruche ties.

Every time I would try to explain that I did not have what they expected, I would get these long lectures about how they were the Scots and knew best. Quite often I was accused of trying to change and destroy their Scottish Highland heritage.

Some would even get angry. That always went over really well.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They all asked for exactly the same outfits. Prince Charlies, Kilt Belts, White hose, Fly Plaids, Tartan flashes, and Ruche ties.
    At least they weren't asking for white Sheriffmuirs!

BTW did you notice he's wearing black flashes? To come SO close to perfection, only to fail, and with such a small thing at that.

Perhaps the black flashes were required to coordinate with the ghillies

Last edited by OC Richard; 9th June 20 at 03:17 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would always get a kick out of the guys flying into Victoria from Scotland for weddings who came to my shop for rentals.

Every time I would try to explain that I did not have what they expected, I would get these long lectures about how they were the Scots and knew best. Quite often I was accused of trying to change and destroy their Scottish Highland heritage.

Yes, I had a Scot fly far off the handle with me when I hinted that white hose smacked somewhat of hire shops. We were actually both wearing trousers at the moment. We didn't even agree to disagree; he just headed off in a huff, which, I believe may have been his favourite vehicle for transportation.

Similarly I had an old Scotswoman insist repeatedly that only white hose were formal. She's dead. No disagreement anymore.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A nice example of something I hinted at; if sometimes more blatantly than others, that we're all individuals. One does not have to have been born or raised in Scotland, to wear Highland dress correctly, nor does someone who has have some innate ability to wear it correctly.

There's no us and them, just me and you.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Advice has been asked for by the OP and advice has been given from many different perspectives in good faith. As been seen here it depends largely on individual perspective and one should not dismiss experience lightly. Also it is unwise, folly even, to base advice on pictures from the internet without understanding the circumstances of the picture. We are, I think, duty bound to give the best advice we can on this website when a question is asked and if possible give reasons why that advice is given, after that it is down to the OP in particular and others if they are interested to take away from this, or any other thread, what they may. No one is being forced to agree, however it is always nice if we can disagree without being disagreeable.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

15. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the Lowlands/Borders constitute 95% of the Scottish population it would be reasonable to suggest that the picture does indeed reflect an average Scottish wedding.
    Alan

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast