X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Average Scottish Groom's Wedding Attire

Hopefully some of our Scottish bretherin can provide information on what is the typical wedding attire for the average person in Scotland. I have seen that the rental shops push Argyle jackets, white hose, etc that are displayed and discussed here in the forum. I've also seen suggestions that tweeds are appropriate for all occasions except black or white tie. So, as a widower who will be remarried in a small wedding in a village on Skye in a few months, I am interested in being respectful and not, to use American terms, being overdressed, I would like to dress as is normal in the area. The MacKay blue tartan is very colorful so I'm considering either a Lomond (navy) blue tweed Braemar jacket and vest or charcoal gray crail jacket and vest instead of a black barathea Argyle. Information, suggestions, and comments are appreciated.
    Last edited by Oday450; 27th February 20 at 10:21 AM.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am certain others will have more, but I have two questions for you: the time of day, and how will your wife-to-be dress?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    I am certain others will have more, but I have two questions for you: the time of day, and how will your wife-to-be dress?
    The wedding will be at noon and the bride will be in a simple white dress.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a small village in Skye quite a few people, especially those of a certain age, would probably be married in a suit rather than a kilt. Personally, and assuming a day-time wedding, I'd opt for tweed. The choice of colour and accessories are very much a personal thing. This was my son's wedding a couple of years ago in Highland Perthshire.

Peter & Jamie wearing the Glenaladale-clean.jpg

5. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

JohnnyO is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in the Loch Lomond area I've seen many weddings in the local village of Luss and I'd entirely agree with the previous comment and photo of the suitability of Tweed.
    Every good wish for the day ... and don't forget to post a couple of photos afterwards for us.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely tweed, day or semi dress sporran and no belt if you are wearing vests (waistcoats in the UK). That said ask your bride which combination she would like you to wear, she is the most important person to please whatever anyone else says is right or wrong.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of fairly usual examples of traditional-----non hire---- kilted day attire(suit equivalent) that I wear in the Highlands to a wedding. The hues of the tie, shirt and hose may well change, depending on how I feel on the day. The groom's attire would be on the same theme.

DSCN0040.jpg

Autumn 2016 021.jpg
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 28th February 20 at 02:08 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

10. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there's a bit of a misconception, generally, around wearing white hose here (in Scotland). I have only ever seen white hose worn by pipers and not any time recently. What you maybe have seen, although also less frequently these days is Ecru (cream) hose, but not white. I actually still like these. The only actually white socks I see now are on forums and tend to be (no offence), on wearers across the Atlantic. For day weddings you'll see alot of grey or charcoal Crail jackets as well as tweed with grey or navy or other solid colour hose, or ancient colours which complement the kilt colours, along with day and semi-dress sporrans. A generally more understated look than you would previously have seen. Having said that you should put together an outfit you (and more importantly your bride ) are happy with.
    To the King over the water

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AbernethyCameron For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentlemen, thank you all for the information. It all reinforces my first thought that tweed was most appropriate and helps to finalize the plan. I’ve already laid out the suggested items for my betrothed and the only item still in debate is blue or gray tweed jacket. Your input is most appreciated. Look for a photo in early June.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Oday450 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say go with blue if it's all the same to your bride.

After all, why miss the opportunity to be a little bit of a Scottish peacock?

Either way, blessings to you both. May your home ever be a haven of blessings and of peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Oday450 View Post
    Gentlemen, thank you all for the information. It all reinforces my first thought that tweed was most appropriate and helps to finalize the plan. I’ve already laid out the suggested items for my betrothed and the only item still in debate is blue or gray tweed jacket. Your input is most appreciated. Look for a photo in early June.
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:

tpa

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast