X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Dr Jones wore a kilt?

Just throwing this out to the rabble for ideas, opinions, or input of any sort.

Here are the two Doctors Henry Walton Jones, Senior and Junior.

Question: what might be the Highland Dress equivalent of Senior's outfit?

Or, what might Senior wear if he were to put together a Highland outfit?

(his shoes, oxblood or burgundy)

Last edited by OC Richard; 3rd March 20 at 03:47 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I give you Kiltiana Jones.

]
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I give you Kiltiana Jones.
    Yes for Junior!

But I was wondering about Senior. He's a Scot. What outfit would he have put together, in the 1930s, if he were to wear kilts?

Actually even for Junior, the original trilogy was set in the 1930s, and Weathered Tartans didn't appear until 1949. That sporran style didn't exist until around the turn of the 21st century, if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 4th March 20 at 07:28 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't Jones a Welsh name? I know Connery himself is a Scot, but I thought Jones was Welsh.

Senior would appear much as he does in your OP, the daper academic. Three-piece tweed kilt suit, starched shirt and bowtie. I imagine he would even use his Irish Tweed Walking hat. Same shoes and a simple brown leather day sporran.
    The real debatable point is what is his kilt made of? Tweed? Family or military tartan?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    Isn't Jones a Welsh name? I know Connery himself is a Scot, but I thought Jones was Welsh.
    Yes I think you're right, however the character Henry Walton Jones (Senior) is a Scot, like Connery.

Senior would appear much as he does in your OP, the daper academic. Three-piece tweed kilt suit, starched shirt and bowtie. I imagine he would even use his Irish Tweed Walking hat. Same shoes and a simple brown leather day sporran.
    I like that! Three-piece tweed kilt suit, and simple brown leather sporran.

Sort of like this, but with different tie and probably different hose

I wonder if Senior would switch out the bow tie for a long tie? I wonder if people often wore bow ties with kilts in the 1930s?

The real debatable point is what is his kilt made of? Tweed? Family or military tartan?
    I like your idea of a full three-piece tweed kilt suit.

Being that his last name is Jones I wonder what tartan he would have worn. I don't think there was such a thing as "Welsh tartans" in the 1930s.

I don't remember his backstory, whether he had military service. It probably would have been an Officer in the Boer War.

(Born 1872, received Doctorate in Mediaeval Literature from Oxford in 1899.)

Another view of Senior's attire

Last edited by OC Richard; 5th March 20 at 06:29 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes for Junior!

But I was wondering about Senior. He's a Scot. What outfit would he have put together, in the 1930s, if he were to wear kilts?

Actually even for Junior, the original trilogy was set in the 1930s, and Weathered Tartans didn't appear until 1949. That sporran style didn't exist until around the turn of the 21st century, if I'm not mistaken.
    Tweed kilt suit. Sr is a low lander so he wouldn’t have a clan tartan of his own but he likes tweed well enough.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I think you're right, however the character Henry Walton Jones (Senior) is a Scot, like Connery.

I like that! Three-piece tweed kilt suit, and simple brown leather sporran.

Sort of like this, but with different tie and probably different hose

I wonder if Senior would switch out the bow tie for a long tie? I wonder if people often wore bow ties with kilts in the 1930s?

I like your idea of a full three-piece tweed kilt suit.

Being that his last name is Jones I wonder what tartan he would have worn. I don't think there was such a thing as "Welsh tartans" in the 1930s.

I don't remember his backstory, whether he had military service. It probably would have been an Officer in the Boer War.

(Born 1872, received Doctorate in Mediaeval Literature from Oxford in 1899.)

Another view of Senior's attire

The Indiana Jones Wiki only says this about his youth:

Henry Walton Jones[4] was born in Scotland on December 12 in 1872.[1] Jack Williams was a childhood friend,[5] and when he was five years old Jones would go swimming in the loch. At least once, he ran away from home.[6] He went on to be educated under the tutelage of Helen Margaret Seymour at Oxford University,[7] where he developed friendships with Marcus Brody,[3]Richard Medlicot[8] and Eric Scythe.[9] In addition to Oxford lecturer, Professor Nigel Wolcott was also one of his mentors.[9] Henry graduated from university in 1893, and his relationship with an American woman named Anna led to marriage in 1898.[1]
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes for Junior!

Actually I was not trying to create an Indiana Jones costume. This is how I dress normally. But because I often use my Fedora as an umbrella while walking to the kilt shop, and my 'go-to' jacket is my old flight jacket, I have been nicknamed "Kiltiana Jones" by my neighbors.

You may remember this photo taken on the porch of my kilt shop on a chilly, rainy day.

Same hat, same jacket, X Marks Tartan kilt.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to Senior's attire, his shoes are punch-cap Oxfords, cap-toe shoes where there's a decorative row of holes along the edge of the cap.

It would be cool if this detail could be taken up with his sporran, something like this

To perfectly match the shoes the sporran would be Oxblood/Burgundy/Merlot leather. I've seen sporrans from the 1920s/1930s which appear to be that colour, more or less

Last edited by OC Richard; 6th March 20 at 06:01 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast