X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1896 Sporran refresh

Ferguson & MacBean, Inverness 1896. Just got this beauty back from the silversmith where it had been in to have the catch tightened. They just don't make them like this any more. Looking forward to an opportunity to wear it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1583509449226.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	38314 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1583509502342.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	38315 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1583509483158.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	38316
    Last edited by figheadair; 6th March 20 at 09:01 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A beautiful bit of kit, Peter.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ever want to sell...I have the jacket to wear with it. What a wonderful piece.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About that sporran ...

Wow! That is amazing!

Dave

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Crazy Dave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow.........!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sporran is amazing and beautiful, but speaking purely as an artist if I were to see a current maker put a cantle of that shape over leather tooling of that shape I would say that the overall design showed a lack of integration.

I would expect an old maker to use tooling that followed the negative space within the borders of the cantle, or use a cantle the negative space of which followed the tooling of the leather.

Are you sure that that cantle and that leather originally went together?
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    That sporran is amazing and beautiful, but speaking purely as an artist if I were to see a current maker put a cantle of that shape over leather tooling of that shape I would say that the overall design showed a lack of integration.

I would expect an old maker to use tooling that followed the negative space within the borders of the cantle, or use a cantle the negative space of which followed the tooling of the leather.

Richard, absolutely, it's wholly original.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cantle details

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

- Good eye Richard. I think you are on point with that thinking. It may very well be what the maker wanted, but there is certainly some disconnect in the design motifs for the leatherwork and the silver work. The scallops on the targe don't reflect the cantle's scallops. Interesting little tabs on the cantle to hold the targe in place as the sporran opens. At the very least, it could have been two different designers working on the same piec when it was produced.
    Perhaps it is some of the makers earlier work? Quite beautiful, none the less.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's particularly interesting about this piece is the Inverness Hallmark. By this time, the 1890s, all Scottish silver was supposed to have an Edinburgh or Glasgow assay stamp. The fact that this piece doesn't probably means that it was a commission piece done in a hurry meaning that there was no time to ship it to and from Edinburgh. That may explain some of the observations about the cantle and leather working.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Studio_20200311_153906.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	38339

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the post by Kilted Redleg entitled "Pipers of old" there is a link to a House of Labhran page of old photographs. In the fifth row of photographs and on the right side there is picture of a gentleman wearing a remarkably similar sporran, although it is difficult to make out all of the details. Perhaps not provenance, but the style is similar.

Cheers,
    David
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast