X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt in the Rain!?

So I'm heading to a ren faire coming up this weekend the weather is supposed to have some rain. Recently all I've owned if PV kilts but I finally bought my first wool. I know the rain won't hurt my kilt if I dont dry it but what about the pleats? What advice do you guys got?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KiltmanMcGhee View Post
    So I'm heading to a ren faire coming up this weekend the weather is supposed to have some rain. Recently all I've owned if PV kilts but I finally bought my first wool. I know the rain won't hurt my kilt if I dont dry it but what about the pleats? What advice do you guys got?
    About the only thing you can do is try not to sit on the pleats for very long while they're wet. Your body heat combined with the moisture can introduce new creases or shift the existing ones. But if you do have to sit on them (say, for a long drive home), just be prepared to take it off and straighten the pleats back out immediately. You ought to be able to crispen up the folds with your fingers, and even use clothes pins to help hold them while you hang it to dry. If the pleats are beyond hand-straightening, you may need to get out the press cloth and steam iron. Unless you've really done some major damage back there, you shouldn't need to baste the pleats for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    About the only thing you can do is try not to sit on the pleats for very long while they're wet. Your body heat combined with the moisture can introduce new creases or shift the existing ones. But if you do have to sit on them (say, for a long drive home), just be prepared to take it off and straighten the pleats back out immediately. You ought to be able to crispen up the folds with your fingers, and even use clothes pins to help hold them while you hang it to dry. If the pleats are beyond hand-straightening, you may need to get out the press cloth and steam iron. Unless you've really done some major damage back there, you shouldn't need to baste the pleats for this.
    So should I just stick with my PV kilt to be safe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KiltmanMcGhee View Post
    So should I just stick with my PV kilt to be safe?
    I would go with the wool. Note that the higher the yardage, the less effect the rain will have on your kilt. When I wore my 4 yd heavyweight kilt in the rain and then sat on it, the pleats were absolutely ruined, however with my 8yd tank it wasn’t half as bad.
    “The convents which the fathers had destroyed...the sons, rebuilt…”
    —Hereward the Wake, ‘Of the Fens’

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McCracken140 View Post
    I would go with the wool. Note that the higher the yardage, the less effect the rain will have on your kilt. When I wore my 4 yd heavyweight kilt in the rain and then sat on it, the pleats were absolutely ruined, however with my 8yd tank it wasn’t half as bad.
    Yardage is not the factor here. PV v. wool. PV does not easily absorb water, so dries faster, is often coated in teflon, and remember, the P stands for polyester.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I am wondering if the fair was cancelled - so much has just stopped over here in the UK.

I tend to wear wool when away from home.

One year I was off for a week of camping and was caught in several torrential downpours as I went between venues for folk music and dancing. I was actually quite warm even when soaked to the skin and dripping from every fold - I did have a long plaid to wrap around me. I would not have missed it though - when making my way back through a thunderstorm I saw two badgers cavorting along the road splashing in the gutters and leaping around in glee.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would wear the wool kilt, you'll be warmer, even if the faire is cancelled or postponed. Wool will air dry just fine if it does indeed get wet.