X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My McCandlish Red kilt

I'm glad I got this a little big when I got it in 1996, since I fattened up a bit by 2010, when one of these pictures was taken (note my "beer face"). I quit drinking in 2012 and am now back down to my old weight, but of course am way older now, ha ha. The kilt is from Celtic Craft Centre, when they had a shop in San Francisco (I think the one in Scotland is still around). D.C. Dalgliesh wove the material; it's an obscure family tartan (which I designed in 1991), so it's not something you can just order from the usual catalogues. I still have this kilt, though some moths got to it and did a little damage since then. So, I've had this kilt for 24 years! If not for those damned moths it would be pretty much like brand new. It held up really well.

2010:

1996, right after I got the kilt (not sure why the detail got washed out a bit):

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to SMcCandlish For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that the bonnet that has the toorie you made yourself, which you talk about in another post? If so, nice work.
    "Above all things, I delight in listening to stories, and sometimes in telling them." --George MacDonald

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacHeath View Post
    Is that the bonnet that has the toorie you made yourself, which you talk about in another post? If so, nice work.
    Sadly, no! This photo is right after I lost it at the games event I went to right before the one I'm dressed for here. That one in the pic is just a "backup" Balmoral. The one I lost had a custom cockade of red, yellow and blue (as used in the thin stripes of the tartan), a darker-red and lower, broader toorie (the one I made, more like a little dome than a ball), a band around the hat made with left-over material from the kilt, and it was a more old-fashioned flat-cap, a bit wider and hand-made by someone at a ren faire. I can't seem to find a picture of that customized hat. Guess I'll just need to make another, though I am now out of leftover tartan material.
    Last edited by SMcCandlish; 13th March 20 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tshirts like that;^) good looking ensemble

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a very nice tartan!

I saw the thread where you were talking about randomly encountering it online, often incorrectly done.

It's happened with a tartan I designed too- somebody came up with Weathered and Ancient versions of it!
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: