X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinch non green

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Pinch non green

☘️Hey all you skirted characters! I’m green with black watch about my waistline and a hem high as a gale force breeze assists. Oh, Yeh! At least i got something green. But you can pinch me if you have to. Just a pinch, for good measure ☘️
    Last edited by morrison; 17th March 20 at 11:20 PM. Reason: “have” to
    Go, have fun, don't work at, make it fun! Kilt them, for they know not, what they wear. Where am I now?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison View Post
    ☘️Hey all you skirted characters! I’m green with black watch about my waistline and a hem high as a gale force breeze assists. Oh, Yeh! At least i got something green. But you can pinch me if you gave to. Just a pinch, for good measure ☘️
    Can you please explain to this rather old and un-trendy Scot, just what you are talking about, please?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ☘️Hey all you skirted characters! I’m green with black watch about my waistline and a hem high as a gale force breeze assists. Oh, Yeh! At least i got something green. But you can pinch me if you gave to. Just a pinch, for good measure ☘️
    Hope y'all are keeping well enough there in Seattle!

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey JScot, I'm figgerin St.Patricks Day wear green or get pinched for not.
    Go, have fun, don't work at, make it fun! Kilt them, for they know not, what they wear. Where am I now?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey JScot, I'm figgerin St.Patricks Day wear green or get pinched for not.
    Well alright I admit it, I have no clue whatsoever which language you are using ————although I assume it’s some form of English——-or what you chaps are talking about!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK 👌🏼 Here it is, an interpretative treatment for the long in tooth:

“Hey all you skirted characters! “ = Kilt people listen

“I’m green “ = nothing in particular.

“with black watch about my waistline “ = I’m wearing the Black Watch Tartan

“and a hem high as a gale force breeze assists. “ = standing in the wind 🌬💨 permits the bits peep 👀 out to spy on you

“Oh, Yeh! At least i got something green. But you can pinch me if you have to. Just a pinch, for good measure” = Oh, Yeh! At least i got something green. But you can pinch me if you have to. Just a pinch, for good measure

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK 👌🏼 Here it is, an interpretative treatment for the long in tooth:

“Hey all you skirted characters! “ = Kilt people listen

“I’m green “ = nothing in particular.

“with black watch about my waistline “ = I’m wearing the Black Watch Tartan

“and a hem high as a gale force breeze assists. “ = standing in the wind 🌬💨 permits the bits peep 👀 out to spy on you

“Oh, Yeh! At least i got something green. But you can pinch me if you have to. Just a pinch, for good measure” = Oh, Yeh! At least i got something green. But you can pinch me if you have to. Just a pinch, for good measure
    Yes I understand now. Thank you. I do have reservations with the last two paragraphs though. And that is perhaps a generational thing and also perhaps a cultural thing too?

Wearing the kilt with decorum was and still is part of kilt wearing in this part of the world and if someone pinched me “out of the blue” they would end up on the floor in double quick time!

10. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Can you please explain to this rather old and un-trendy Scot, just what you are talking about, please?
    It's an old US custom, starting when in elementary school, that you wear green on St Padraig's Day or get a pinch. The rest was a bit difficult to understand or interpret.

12. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Oday450 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oday450 View Post
    It's an old US custom, starting when in elementary school, that you wear green on St Padraig's Day or get a pinch. The rest was a bit difficult to understand or interpret.
    Ah, that explains it! Thank you. I must confess that I have not come across that tradition.

St. Patrick's Day is not even mentioned in most of Scotland in my experience, although I think, they usually have a parade in Glasgow to mark the occasion.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 18th March 20 at 08:21 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One wonders where that pinching thing originated. In the USA rather than Ireland, probably.

An old Irish woman here, a lecturer at a local University, a Doctor of literature, an Irish speaker and expert on Irish poetry and literature, would say every St Patrick's Day that in the old days in Ireland it was considered unlucky, indeed dangerous, to wear green, it being the colour of the Sidh, the wee folk, who might do evil things to a human caught wearing it.

As an aside, St Patrick's colour is blue.

I wore no green yesterday.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 18th March 20 at 04:04 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

16. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast