X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Hello from Quarantine

Good day gents (and ladies?),

Long time reader here, taking advantage of my newfound free time to get serious about putting together my kilt kit. To be clear, I don't have the plague. However my current city of residence happens to be locked down and work is slow.

I just ordered a 8-yd top stitch in Modern Henderson from USA Kilts for my wedding in August and I can't wait to get my hands on it, though it will be a tossup as to whether the Kilt of I make it home first given the state of affairs here. I haven't been kilted since I emigrated from the gorgeous green homeland at the age of twelve, so I'm a bit rusty, but I've been reading here for several years so hopefully I won't ask too many stupid questions.

Thanks for all the accumulated wisdom y'all curate, I've loved reading this forum, and the pictures have been invaluable in convincing my fiancee that I'm not crazy.

Doug

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to DougH For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to XMarks!

Your post got me to looking at the various USA Kilts offerings, I didn't remember them having an 8-yard top-stitched kilt.

In the closeup photos the stitching looks good. It would be nice if you could post a review once your new kilt arrives, I would be interested.

I see that they also offer kilts where each pleat is stitched on the reverse side, then turned over. That's how my Higgins heavyweight Pipe Band kilt is made.

BTW are you familiar with Dudy? With Josef Rezny? It's beautiful music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmBZQsyzxQU
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th March 20 at 06:27 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Welcome to XMarks!

Your post got me to looking at the various USA Kilts offerings, I didn't remember them having an 8-yard top-stitched kilt.

In the closeup photos the stitching looks good. It would be nice if you could post a review once your new kilt arrives, I would be interested.

I see that they also offer kilts where each pleat is stitched on the reverse side, then turned over. That's how my Higgins heavyweight Pipe Band kilt is made.

BTW are you familiar with Dudy? With Josef Rezny? It's beautiful music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmBZQsyzxQU
    I don't know how frequently their offerings change, but I've had several people recommend them to me, and searching this forum showed that they had nothing but stellar reviews. I'll definietly post pictures when I get my hands on the kilt, but as I mentioned in my first post I'm not very sure how long I will be here in Prague. Contract ends July 1, but Trump seems to think everything will be locked down longer than that.
    The pictures convinced me that I wouldn't notice the stitching, and I see no reason to pay the extra for the reverse stitch for my first kilt. I'd rather spend that money on some decent hose.

I am not familiar with Dudy, I've heard of Josef Rezny but that video was the first I've actually listened to anything, thanks for my rabbit hole of the day. That instrument in the video opening is fascinating. Mluvíte česky nebo jste právě našli video? (Do you speak Czech, or did you just find the video?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bienvenue from another locked down in Bretagne France, kids are getting stir crazy and its only been since midday Tuesday, luckily the teachers are sending work via the internet, good to see you here and good luck in getting your Kilt kit together. Salut
    Whose coat is that jacket?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finistere View Post
    Bienvenue from another locked down in Bretagne France, kids are getting stir crazy and its only been since midday Tuesday, luckily the teachers are sending work via the internet, good to see you here and good luck in getting your Kilt kit together. Salut
    Oh my, prayers for your sanity sir. I will say, its been incredible to see how quickly the school systems have transitioned onto the web. I'm still struggling to translate my ESL lesson plans, no one trained me for this

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DougH For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's sad about quarwntine

is when you realize your life in quarantine isn't much different than your regular life, except the gym's closed and tp has become a valuable commodity. I've had a lot of leather projects for my kids so I am actually productive. Nice you're here.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, from Inverness-shire.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Western Canada 🇨🇦!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in the English midlands. I'm on temporary lockdown, having been infected with an unidentified virus for the last week. Recovering well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast