Steve,

Thanks for that informative and insightful post. I suppose what we call a traditional kilt wasn't even invented yet but a belted plaid would've been in the Highlands anyway. While I'm interested as to how people adapt to their environment, being a kilt forum, I was focusing on your Highland man during the time of the belted plaid.

I find it hard to believe that fashions would've changed then as fast as they change now. As a high-school teacher, I can tell you all about New England adolescent fashion and that it changes at least annually. With a much slower system of communication and travel, I had thought that fashion -- while always changing -- would've changed much slower in the 1600s and 1700s. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

On a side note, I never quite understood the hose/short breeches thing. Different time and culture, I know, but talk about impractical: get those socks quite dirty, I imagine, walking along streets filled with dirt or mud or horse dung.

Best,
J

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
You have to remember that from the beginning of the 17th century and the end of the 18th centuries was 200 years. There can not be said to be one common or enduring fashion that would span that entire time. Those 200 years saw as much change in fashion as the last 200 years have.

But if you want to think of the dress of the common man think American Revolution for the 17th century, and Robert Burn and Sir Walter Scott for the 18th century.

A kilt in Scotland during those 200 years would be about as rare as a kilt on the streets in Scotland, outside of the tourist areas,are today.