X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,

Thanks for that informative and insightful post. I suppose what we call a traditional kilt wasn't even invented yet but a belted plaid would've been in the Highlands anyway. While I'm interested as to how people adapt to their environment, being a kilt forum, I was focusing on your Highland man during the time of the belted plaid.

I find it hard to believe that fashions would've changed then as fast as they change now. As a high-school teacher, I can tell you all about New England adolescent fashion and that it changes at least annually. With a much slower system of communication and travel, I had thought that fashion -- while always changing -- would've changed much slower in the 1600s and 1700s. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

On a side note, I never quite understood the hose/short breeches thing. Different time and culture, I know, but talk about impractical: get those socks quite dirty, I imagine, walking along streets filled with dirt or mud or horse dung.

Best,
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    You have to remember that from the beginning of the 17th century and the end of the 18th centuries was 200 years. There can not be said to be one common or enduring fashion that would span that entire time. Those 200 years saw as much change in fashion as the last 200 years have.

But if you want to think of the dress of the common man think American Revolution for the 17th century, and Robert Burn and Sir Walter Scott for the 18th century.

A kilt in Scotland during those 200 years would be about as rare as a kilt on the streets in Scotland, outside of the tourist areas,are today.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Gosh, we've been hard on this poor guy, haven't we! He was trying to be helpful and we've just about nit-picked him to death.

Poor boogar!
    "Poor booger" be damned! When it comes to unsafe handling of firearms, I and anyone that that knows about firearms IS as hard as flint. There are no ifs or buts on that point.

Sorry Bill, but far too many have died ------and more will still die------ from poorly handled "unloaded" firearms to let this example pass without firm comment.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post

On a side note, I never quite understood the hose/short breeches thing. Different time and culture, I know, but talk about impractical: get those socks quite dirty, I imagine, walking along streets filled with dirt or mud or horse dung.

Best,
    J

Perhaps not as impractical as you might think. In an era when the average man might only have 1-3 changes of clothes, it is far easier to remove and clean a pair of hose (socks) than the entire lower garment. Also easier to take off if engaged in an activity where your feet will get wet.
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Sir William For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    "Poor booger" be damned! When it comes to unsafe handling of firearms, I and anyone that that knows about firearms IS as hard as flint. There are no ifs or buts on that point.

Sorry Bill, but far too many have died ------and more will still die------ from poorly handled "unloaded" firearms to let this example pass without firm comment.
    Of course you’re right on the firearms - I was thinking in terms of critiquing his outfit.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear - sticking that dirk into the earth and then not even cleaning it before sheathing it - he has no respect. I treat my kitchen knives better.
    My brother was shot by someone messing around - he even said 'I didn't know it was loaded' - after he'd seen me walk back from setting up the targets, uncover and load - it still makes me go all cold to think about it. Yes it was a small calibre - but it hit him a hand's breadth from the jugular.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    Oh dear - sticking that dirk into the earth and then not even cleaning it before sheathing it - he has no respect. I treat my kitchen knives better.
    My brother was shot by someone messing around - he even said 'I didn't know it was loaded' - after he'd seen me walk back from setting up the targets, uncover and load - it still makes me go all cold to think about it. Yes it was a small calibre - but it hit him a hand's breadth from the jugular.

Anne the Pleater
    Holy crap, Anne. I hope your brother recovered quickly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jhockin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    Holy crap, Anne. I hope your brother recovered quickly!
    Yes, thankfully, he was wearing a leather jacket and luckily the shot went through the collar and the yoke which must have slowed it down - he still has the scar but there wasn't a great amount of damage.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    Yes, thankfully, he was wearing a leather jacket and luckily the shot went through the collar and the yoke which must have slowed it down - he still has the scar but there wasn't a great amount of damage.

Anne the Pleater
    That's some scary stuff right there. Glad he recovered!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123