X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougH View Post
    Nope, I clicked edit, the link was still there so I clicked preview and it showed up, so I clicked save. No clue. My technical savy is limited to email and excel I'm afraid.
    Well, good for you; it's magic!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for bringing it to my attention. We will ignore the possibility that I have magical abilities as it would be incredibly depressing to know that I was unaware of them for so long...

Back to the question.

How are sporran cantles typically constructed? Is that leather likely to be cemented, or merely sandwiched between the cantle and bag? I know sporran modification probably isnt a smart move for my first purchase, but I tend to consider myself handy, and I have way too much time to think about this right now being quarantined. My heart isn't set on it, its just the most attractive thing on ebay currently, I'm sure I'll have more ideas/options by Tuesday.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DougH For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a look at my coyote sporran and the top of the leather cantle is braided on with a thin piece of leather. You can see it on the picture on the UT Kilts website. The bottom of the cantle is sewn on. I wouldn't be surprised if it is glued on too. Since this is the only leather cantle I have seen, I don't know how it compares. I also don't know how it will wear nice it is a recent purchase. The construction appears to be very good. Much better than I would have expected for the money.

Dave

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
    I took a look at my coyote sporran and the top of the leather cantle is braided on with a thin piece of leather. You can see it on the picture on the UT Kilts website. The bottom of the cantle is sewn on. I wouldn't be surprised if it is glued on too. Since this is the only leather cantle I have seen, I don't know how it compares. I also don't know how it will wear nice it is a recent purchase. The construction appears to be very good. Much better than I would have expected for the money.

Dave
    I figured glue would be used. I'll show it to my fiance, but I might just roll with it, red leather and all. A dress sporran is supposed to attract attention right.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougH View Post
    ... but I might just roll with it, red leather and all. A dress sporran is supposed to attract attention right.
    I don’t think of the red leather as a drawback, but an enhancement. It highlights the cutouts in the cantle and provides a bit of contrast and emphasis of the cutouts in a subtle, traditional way. When I had a dressy sheep sporran made to re-bag a sterling cantle with cutouts, I chose to include a red leather insert for just that reason.

“It’s not a bug; it’s a feature.”

I think you’ve found a beauty, and I wouldn’t change a thing.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I don’t think of the red leather as a drawback, but an enhancement. It highlights the cutouts in the cantle and provides a bit of contrast and emphasis of the cutouts in a subtle, traditional way. When I had a dressy sheep sporran made to re-bag a sterling cantle with cutouts, I chose to include a red leather insert for just that reason.

“It’s not a bug; it’s a feature.”

I think you’ve found a beauty, and I wouldn’t change a thing.

Cheers,

SM
    Posting pictures of that gem just isn't fair.... I immediately become dissatisfied with everything. That is a heirloom quality piece right there, and I hope you find plenty of opportunities to wear it.
    But yes, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger. Just waiting for the fiancee to rubber stamp it.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DougH For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that stands out!

Dave

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I've never been a fan of the so-called Bonnie Prince Charlie sporran. The original, which I've seen close up, looks to be 19th century rather than mid-18th and I wonder about the attribution.
    Attachment 38392
    As the various big Highland Dress outfitters were offering them from c1930 to today they strike me as an ordinary leather Day sporran that happens to be covered entirely with sealskin, with an ornamental plate stuck on the flap.

I hadn't make the connexion with the early 19th century military sporrans but you're correct, those were made that way also, a fur body with a fur-covered flap bearing a decorative plate.

Here the sporran has a fur flap, and the rim has expanded to what would become the cantle

One similar is seen in MacLeay; I believe this to be, at the time of the painting, a 70-odd year old sporran

Here, by the Napoleonic period, a patent-leather metal-bound decorative plate had appeared on the flap

When the new long-hair sporrans evolved in the 1840s the 93rd Highlanders retained the old style for their Officers' Levee Dress sporrans, which continued in use for around 150 years

Something akin to this style, but with the pentagonal cantle being merely decorative (not a hinged opening thing like the 93rd/Argylls Levee Dress sporran) was very popular in the mid-to-late 19th century

For sure the 20th century "Prince Charlie" sporran appears to be inspired by those old military types

Last edited by OC Richard; 23rd March 20 at 04:54 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I don’t think of the red leather as a drawback, but an enhancement. It highlights the cutouts in the cantle and provides a bit of contrast and emphasis of the cutouts in a subtle, traditional way.
    Yes indeed pierced silver cantles show up from the get-go when the new Evening Dress sporrans appeared in the early 20th century.

Look at the intricate piercing on the cantle to left, 1930s

Plenty of pierced cantles here also in the 1930s

Here's a pierced cantle from the 1930s but sadly they used dark leather!

Last edited by OC Richard; 23rd March 20 at 05:06 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    As the various big Highland Dress outfitters were offering them from c1930 to today they strike me as an ordinary leather Day sporran that happens to be covered entirely with sealskin, with an ornamental plate stuck on the flap.

I hadn't make the connexion with the early 19th century military sporrans but you're correct, those were made that way also, a fur body with a fur-covered flap bearing a decorative plate.

Here, by the Napoleonic period, a patent-leather metal-bound decorative plate had appeared on the flap

And here's an 18th century brass cantled sporran that was upgraded for the chief of the MacDougalls in time for the 1822 fling. The military influence is obvious. Not the most attractive augmentation in my view and today we'd generally opt to keep the original.
    Sporran 1.jpg.jpg

Sporran 5.jpg
    Last edited by figheadair; 23rd March 20 at 07:04 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast