X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    Hadn't considered that. I would still need something for the back, though, too - I end up getting into some weird positions crawling around underneath things and both my front and back get regularly covered in gunk. Might be worth wearing an apron even with a utility kilt, though.
    I cannot escape the thought that a pair of trousers are sometimes the best option for some jobs. We in Scotland worked that out years ago and see no problem in doing so and without a second thought.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I cannot escape the thought that a pair of trousers are sometimes the best option for some jobs. We in Scotland worked that out years ago and see no problem in doing so and without a second thought.
    Now that just sounds like negative thinking right there.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    Now that just sounds like negative thinking right there.
    Well it might sound that way. On the other hand, some might suggest that being offered a tried and tested solution to your problem and ignoring it, would also be a prime example of negative thinking.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Note to fans of Jock - other Scottish opinions are available .

Alan

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    Note to fans of Jock - other Scottish opinions are available .

Alan
    ...........and I wish that they would speak up more often!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they're in awe/fear, Jock

Alan

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that is the case I will cease forthwith.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't understand that you're (sometimes) teasing them. .... Aren't you?

Alan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest-- I would not want to be doing any work where I had to climb on things, be on the floor, etc. in a kilt.  I would not find that at all comfortable. There is a reason I wear pants/trousers 99% of the time rather than a skirt or dress (weather aside), and it's because I have absolutely no desire to have to worry about what my clothing is doing or mess with it to keep myself covered when I want/need to be focused on doing something physical (the same reason I wear snug-fitting clothing in the gym rather than loose stuff).

I am imagining me trying to slide under a car on a creeper in a kilt, and having it get caught in the wheels, holding it down as I went in and out, having to be careful about how I held my legs under there, etc. Just another aspect of practicality to think about, from someone in a segment of the population who has been raised from a young age to think about coverage and movement in an un-bifurcated garment.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katia View Post
    To be honest-- I would not want to be doing any work where I had to climb on things, be on the floor, etc. in a kilt.  I would not find that at all comfortable. There is a reason I wear pants/trousers 99% of the time rather than a skirt or dress (weather aside), and it's because I have absolutely no desire to have to worry about what my clothing is doing or mess with it to keep myself covered when I want/need to be focused on doing something physical (the same reason I wear snug-fitting clothing in the gym rather than loose stuff).

I am imagining me trying to slide under a car on a creeper in a kilt, and having it get caught in the wheels, holding it down as I went in and out, having to be careful about how I held my legs under there, etc. Just another aspect of practicality to think about, from someone in a segment of the population who has been raised from a young age to think about coverage and movement in an un-bifurcated garment.
    I think most of these concerns disappear, Katia, when you actually do it. As a Highland dancer, you can hardly be all that concerned about "coverage"!
    I would agree that, in the presence of rotating equipment such as a chainsaw, there can be safety concerns.

Alan

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast