X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan.

Well, alright sometimes, but not always.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 24th March 20 at 06:14 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    I think most of these concerns disappear, Katia, when you actually do it. As a Highland dancer, you can hardly be all that concerned about "coverage"!
    I would agree that, in the presence of rotating equipment such as a chainsaw, there can be safety concerns.

Alan
    Farming with its hundreds of horse power, whirling shafts and cogs and kilts are not a good mixture, nor is it wise to wear the kilt on fishing boats, just to name but two occupations where the kilt is not recommended.

I am sorry there are really times when the kilt is not the best attire and wearing the kilt just for bravado's sake is just plain silly.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Farming with its hundreds of horse power, whirling shafts and cogs and kilts are not a good mixture, nor is it wise to wear the kilt on fishing boats, just to name but two occupations where the kilt is not recommended.
    I am sorry there are really times when the kilt is not the best attire and wearing the kilt just for bravado's sake is just plain silly.
    Have never gone fishing, Jock.
    Frequently crawl around under my tractor but am very careful with chainsaws
    I really don't think "bravado" comes into it but, however "silly", I'm as unlikely to change the practices of a long lifetime as you are to wear the kilt outwith the Highlands.
    Keep safe in these troublous times.

Alan

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To add to that, I would not want to be kilted while welding, machining, grinding, or painting. Just like I wouldn't want to wear cargo shorts for those tasks. And I don't wear a kilt for work when I'm going to be up on a ladder working on a security camera or WiFi access point.

But for wrenching on the bottom of a vehicle with large ground clearance like my old pickup or my Model T? Might be worth a shot. Heck, I can sit upright on the creeper underneath my truck in places. Just about anything's got to be more comfortable than my "grubby job" jeans. And if it isn't...there'd be plenty of other situations I could wear a utility kilt in.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    To add to that, I would not want to be kilted while welding, machining, grinding, or painting. Just like I wouldn't want to wear cargo shorts for those tasks. And I don't wear a kilt for work when I'm going to be up on a ladder working on a security camera or WiFi access point.

But for wrenching on the bottom of a vehicle with large ground clearance like my old pickup or my Model T? Might be worth a shot. Heck, I can sit upright on the creeper underneath my truck in places. Just about anything's got to be more comfortable than my "grubby job" jeans. And if it isn't...there'd be plenty of other situations I could wear a utility kilt in.
    It sounds as though you have a plan, well done! I hope it all works out for you.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds as though you have a plan, well done! I hope it all works out for you.
    Thanks! Nothing "bravado" about it - I'd be working by myself. I just want something comfortable. My hope is that it would work. If not...I'll just keep working at cross purposes with my jeans, I suppose.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! At this point, I'm leaning toward the DNKE Highlander (which, prior to this thread, I didn't know existed) so I can remove the pockets. Just need to figure out size, since I'm between two of their standard sizes. E-mailed them, waiting for a response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, ended up with a DNKE Highlander kilt. Removed the detachable side pockets. Added a Stillwater Kilts utility sporran and a nylon belt. I've been wearing it around the house (it's awfully comfortable), but today I had some maintenance work to do around the farm, so after considering wearing jeans again, I decided I didn't really want to be that uncomfortable all day and went with the kilt. Didn't do any welding or machining, but did have to do some grinding, cutting, painting, etc. Worked very well.

I would have to say that, limited as my experience with it has been so far, I would say the DNKE Highlander is quite nice for general purpose shop work, as long as you're doing tasks which are safe to do in loose clothing (no welding, machining, working with any belt-driven equipment, etc.). Much, much more comfortable than jeans - much more freedom of movement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought my first kilt, a DNKE. I wanted a Highlander, but they were out of my size, so I got a Greenhorn, the only one in my size at this time. There's a lot of acreage to cover... I'm thinking that their lack of sizes is a viral problem.

I looked at several ute kilts, but I like their website best. Mainly because you can see what you are getting. They've several large bright pictures and a wee bit of video for each model and video for related things as well. With other sites you get smaller/fewer pictures. One site I looked at, you get a single pic about the size of a postage stamp that you can't click to enlarge.

So I think you've made a good choice with the Highlander. I bet you'll like it a lot. I've already inquired when they'll be having some more of those for us gents of great size.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and BTW, after looking at the first place you began hunting for a ute kilt, Kilt and Jacks, I feel rather certain that their products are made in China.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'm glad I went with the Highlander. It's not a heavy cotton material, but it is cotton, and the pleats are stitched all the way down at the ends, so despite it being cotton the pleats stay pleated. It's very comfortable, nice and cool, and just kind of stays out of the way. Doesn't blow around in the wind as much as a ripstop material sometimes does, and I like having the side pockets detachable with the Highlander - even less stuff to blow around, flop over into work, or otherwise get in the way. All around, very happy with my purchase.

Only downside I can think of is that it's probably not very suitable for cold weather. It is much cooler than even my P/V kilts. But it's about perfect for warm sunny days. It's pretty much just a more comfortable replacement for shorts. If shorts are too cold, this kilt probably will be, too.

If I remember right, I believe the label said it was made in Pakistan. I'd check to be sure, except the tag's on the back, and I'm currently wearing it for some light carpentry work.

I was smack dab in the middle of two different sizes of theirs. I ended up going with the larger size. I keep it buttoned at the smallest snap buttons, and that works pretty well. So if you're on the fence, it's probably best to go with a larger size instead of smaller.

Yesterday I was doing mechanic work and had the side pockets off. Today's carpentry will be easier with side pockets to fill with screws and fasteners, so I have the side pockets on. But I'm glad the side pockets are not firmly attached and just clip on. I don't think I would be happy with having them on full-time - they look kind of goofy to me, and would tend to get in the way for certain jobs. They are like wearing a tool belt - I wouldn't want to crawl around under a truck or a tractor wearing a full carpentry tool belt, either. Of course, that will depend on what you're using it for, but for me I'd much rather have them optional.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast