X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Illinois Scottish Festival & Highland Games Cancelled

I just saw that the Illinois Saint Andrew's Society has cancelled their 2020 Highland Games.

http://www.scottishfestivalchicago.org/

From their website:

"2020 Scottish Festival & Highland Games
    June 19-20, 2020
    Hamilton Lake- 2 Pierce Place Itasca, IL 60143

I regret to announce the cancellation of the 34th annual Scottish Festival and Highland Games. Disappointing though this news is, I’m sure you’ll agree that, given the rapid spread of the COVID-19 Coronavirus, it is the right and responsible thing to do.

During these extraordinarily challenging times, I hope you’ll consider this appeal for donations in support of our principal charity, Caledonia Senior Living and Memory Care. Because seniors are the most vulnerable among us, senior living is the front line of the battle against COVID-19. Our campus, which includes the Scottish Home and MacLean House, is in an advanced state of lockdown. We are taking extreme precautions to safeguard the people who live and work in our community. If you choose to support our COVID-19 prevention programming, your donation – in any amount you’re able to give – will be fully tax-deductible. And MUCH appreciated. Please use the link below to donate to Caledonia Senior Living.

Or contact Jack Sanders T: 708-426-7111 E: jacksanders@chicagoscots.org.

Once we are through this crisis – and we WILL get through this – we look forward to once again hosting the Highland Games in its’ full, proud glory.

On behalf of the Chicago Scots and everyone at Caledonia Senior Living, I wish you and your loved ones, now, and in the time ahead, health. Be well.

https://www.caledoniaseniorliving.or...aising/donate/

In friendship, Aye
    Gus Noble
    President"
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer. I had just been reading that on Pipes/Drums

https://www.pipesdrums.com/article/l...chicago-games/

Chicago has evolved into the biggest Pipe Band contest in the USA, and I've been wanting to visit.

Hopefully next year!
    Last edited by OC Richard; 27th March 20 at 01:16 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez, even cancelling events in June! April sure; May possibly; but June?!
    I guess us Illinois Scots will have to figure out something on our own this year without the Games.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KnittedReenactor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to look up Lake Zurich. I see there's also a Lake Geneva.

My wife's family is originally from Ottawa and Granville, she has many relatives in the Chicago area, making a visit to the Chicago Games feasible on multiple grounds.

I've also read about other events in the area such as the huge craft beer festival, which is tempting.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Bummer. I had just been reading that on Pipes/Drums

https://www.pipesdrums.com/article/l...chicago-games/

Chicago has evolved into the biggest Pipe Band contest in the USA, and I've been wanting to visit.

Hopefully next year!
    It certainly is a great competition, and the massed pipe bands at the end of the day on Saturday is not to be missed!

We'll miss helping our friends who have had their highland coos there for the past several years. At least there farm is close to us here in central Illinois and we get a dose of highland cow fairly often!
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam