X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a while now. Did you receive it yet? How do you like it?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Hi y'all! I'm Stephanie Osborne from the Ozark mountains in Arkansas. I'm an American mutt with Scottish, Native American and German ancestry but Scotland's in my heart...I have always wanted a kilt and stumbled on your forum. I've already read many pages and look forward to many more.
    Now I did say welcome from California but in reality I'm a fellow Hillbilly, from Central West Virginia. Cornish, Scottish, Irish, and English roots here. (Miners, of course.)

I did have one question: my wife has been watching Ozark (a Netflix Original) and, if I may ask, how horrendous have the accents been? Or are the actors doing a decent job?

I ask because I'm used to hearing ridiculous and awful "West Virginia accents" on TV shows and films. (Think Russell Crowe, Laura Dern, etc.)

And my wife, though born and raised in Southern California, has Chicago roots and she says the Chicago accent in the show isn't good.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I ask because I'm used to hearing ridiculous and awful "West Virginia accents" on TV shows and films. (Think Russell Crowe, Laura Dern, etc.)

And my wife, though born and raised in Southern California, has Chicago roots and she says the Chicago accent in the show isn't good.
    There's a gal named Amy Walker (accent coach) who does interesting videos on accents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NriDTxseog

I don't think I have never heard a purposefully put on Michigan accent that sounds correct. Most of the time they sound more like a Minnesota accent (in the exaggerated ones) or a Wisconsin accent (when more subdued). One side of my family is from Chicago originally (some of them still live there), and it's certainly its own distinct accent.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    I don't think I have never heard a purposefully put on Michigan accent that sounds correct.
    I suppose there would really be no such thing as "a Michigan accent" in the same way there's no such thing as "an English accent" because every region of a state or country would have a different one. I'm guessing Detroit has its own, as would the UP, and so forth. I'm guessing that in general Michigan would have a version of the "Midwestern" A-sound especially before R as in "car" and "far". With my wife's Chicago relatives it's words like "top" and "Bob" which are so distinctive.

But an Ozark accent! I would love to hear it. I'm guessing it's more or less along similar lines to Appalachian accents.

My grandmother, born in a log cabin in a holler, who to me had "the real Appalachian accent" in reality was a first-generation American, her mother, aunts, uncles, and grandparents all British-born, Cornish, all of whom came to West Virginia to follow the mining occupation.

About that Amy Walker, it's cool, but none of her "Southern" accents sound convincing to me, neither does her "California". I wouldn't be able to judge the others, I've only lived in Appalachia and California.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 26th April 20 at 05:52 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michigan Kyle, got it and absolutely love it! It's a bit big but I still love it. 😁 I'm looking at getting another. I'm trying to decide between acrylic and a will acrylic mix. In black watch probably. Decisions decisions. Had anyone bought from affordable kilts?

Never seen the show Ozarks. Sorry lol. I do have a slow southern accent but I talk a million miles an hour when upset, mad or exhausted. Or accent is part hillbilly I guess. Like the town Berryville is pronounced bur-vul. Harrison is hair-sun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My the kilted skirt is lovely. But you're right, it is quite dear.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post

Or possibly for something longer (and this is considerably more expensive, but maybe another option to look at someday) a kilted skirt:

https://www.usakilts.com/kilt-wool-skirt.html

But, it sounds like you've got a plan to get started.
    Just be aware that men's kilts are cut very differently than most other men's clothing, so fit's a bit of an oddball thing to try to figure out if you've never worn one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up in the Arkansas Ozarks (living in Mississippi now) and never had much of an accent. Which was good since I had a long career in radio. That's a beautiful area! I lived growing up there. When I was a teenager and bored on a Saturday, I would jump in the truck and drive up Hwy 7 to Jasper and back for fun.

Welcome to the group!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our accent is part hillbilly I guess. Like the town Berryville is pronounced bur-vul. Harrison is hair-sun.
    Yes that sort of thing exactly! Back in West Virginia my sister and mom live in Hurricane.

Two syllables, Hurr-cunn.

Then in Kentucky there's "Vurr-sails". Not spelled like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul, not all women are created the same. Lol the women in my family are all very short wasted. Men's clothing fits better more than it doesn't. That with the fact I grew up in my male cousin's hand me downs...

Roadkikl, maybe you just didn't realize you had an accent. �� I didn't until I went up North. Jasper is gorgeous. 7 was fun on a bike. It's pretty over here by the lake and back towards Yellville and Flipping too.

Richard, we have a lot of people come here from California. The funniest thing is it's real laid back here. Slow motion. They come here and then get upset that everyone takes their time. �� One guy bought an RV park. The contractors wouldn't show up till days late. He went to town complaining about lazy hillbillies. Didn't make fast friends. Lol you have to embrace it.

Yes there are many ways like the Appalachians here. My Campbell line lived in Virginia a long time after coming to the states, then Tennessee for some time. Ended up in Oklahoma. Another ancestral line came here from Tennessee.
    Last edited by Stephanie; 12th May 20 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Typos

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richard, we have a lot of people come here from California. The funniest thing is it's real laid back here. Slow motion. They come here and then get upset that everyone takes their time.
    Yes my family, a Hillbilly Diaspora, is scattered all over the USA but one by one we're reaching retirement age and moving back to the hills. Due to the employment situation in West Virginia it's a common thing for people to spend their working lives outside the state.

We love the slower pace! It's so frenetic in California, the traffic and noise and crowds. We're so tired of it all.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast