X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Those of you who have and wear Great Kilts, how do you store them?

Hye guys! Been a very long time since I've posted anything here. Getting back into kilting and this forum as well. Just had a question for those of us that wear GKs often: How and where do you store them? Cedar chest? Hang the cloth somewhere? Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I folded mine so the middle fit across a wooden hanger, then put it inside a garment bag with cedar rounds at the top and in the bottom of the bag. It hangs in the closet. I get it out maybe two or three times a year. Works for me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roll it

I take a rectangular piece of canvas. Lay the plaid out just like you were going to wear it. The fold it and set it on the canvas. (Note: the canvas should be at least as wide as your kilt and a little longer that than the height. 62" for a 60" fabric length.) Straighten the pleats and then roll the plaid up. This does two things: First it presses the pleats in place and Second it has the plaid ready to put on. Just unroll put the belt where you need it, open it up, get in and finish putting it on.

The canvas can be found in most fabric stores and only requires to 1/2 to 1" straps to keep it rolled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add the belt too?

Quote Originally Posted by Madadh View Post
    I take a rectangular piece of canvas. Lay the plaid out just like you were going to wear it. The fold it and set it on the canvas. (Note: the canvas should be at least as wide as your kilt and a little longer that than the height. 62" for a 60" fabric length.) Straighten the pleats and then roll the plaid up. This does two things: First it presses the pleats in place and Second it has the plaid ready to put on. Just unroll put the belt where you need it, open it up, get in and finish putting it on.

The canvas can be found in most fabric stores and only requires to 1/2 to 1" straps to keep it rolled.
    Madadh, I would think that one could also roll it up with the belt already in the right position. Yes?
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't since I have two great kilts and need the belt in other places.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its just 6 yards of single width cloth halfway butted together. It gets folded up and put in my portmanteau ready for packing for the next reenactment.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's wrong with using it as a couch or bed cover...???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's basically just a blanket

So...treat/use it like any other blanket in your home.
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

LANCER1562 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My great kilt is with all my other Ren Faire stuff. Folded up in a vacuum sealed bag in a storage unit in California. The belt and other accessories are in a large canvas duffle bag. The space saver with my great kilt is in with it.
    Robert
    Member of: S.W.E.A.R.S., Steel Bonnets, Flat Cap Confederation, SMALL, KABOOM, K.O.O.P.S, Law Dawgz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fold mine up, similar to how one would fold a blanket, and then put it on a shelf in my closet until I am ready to wear it. Which I do a lot. Typically, I wear my GK more than my other kilt. If I could get away with it, I'd wear it at work, and that's the only reason I don't wear it daily.
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates