X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

The third most-common shoes in Highlanders of Scotland are ordinary brogues

And also the popular Victorian ankle boots. Only three men in HOS are seen wearing these, but they're quite common in Victorian photos of kilted men.

Some practical examples of both styles. Balmoral Estate Gillies, 1858.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gillies, Balmoral Oct 1858 - Brogan.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	38439

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! The ankle-boots and ordinary brogues are very common in Victorian kilted photos.

Which brings me to the subject of a certain amount of variance in some items of dress between Victorian photos and the Highlanders Of Scotland portraits.

For sure there are factors to be taken into account, such as the HOS portraits being painted over a four-year period (1865-1869) while my collection of Victorian spans a half-century, and each collection being a small sample-size.

In many ways the two bodies of images fit hand-in-glove: the wide variety of bonnet shapes and jacket cuts, and the sorts of sporrans seen.

But in the matter of footwear the two bodies of images differ it two ways:

1) many more different shoe styles are seen in THOS than in my photos.

2) many more different hose styles are seen in the photos than in THOS.

With shoes, in THOS nearly all the Ghillies seen are tan roughout leather, but I've only come across one photo showing such, and it's an odd one, an obvious attempt at a historical look. Yet, there the shoes are, and somebody had to be making them.

With hose, numerous Victorian photos show hose with diagonal stripe patterns. I wouldn't consider them tartan hose. Only one such pair are seen in THOS.

There are types of hose absent from THOS altogether, which are commonly seen in Victorian photos.

One such are the overall diamond pattern

Another thing not seen in THOS are hose like these, with a small intricate pattern

And last but not least, the absence in THOS of hoop-pattern hose which are fairly common in Victorian photos

Last edited by OC Richard; 28th March 20 at 07:35 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12