X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another hoses question

Hi All,
    Hope you are well in these strange times. I've been thinking just lately as there's nothing else to do about a query with hose if you have white in your kilt, a line or pattern can you wear white or ecru hose, I don't wear them normally unless it's black and white formal night on a cruise. I know some are against them as they feel they look cheap or like a rental outfit. I normally wear self coloured or tartan top cuffed. I know it's another question about hose but it would be interesting to know what you think.
    regards
    Dirk 95
    Derek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk95 View Post
    Hi All,
    Hope you are well in these strange times. I've been thinking just lately as there's nothing else to do about a query with hose if you have white in your kilt, a line or pattern can you wear white or ecru hose, I don't wear them normally unless it's black and white formal night on a cruise. I know some are against them as they feel they look cheap or like a rental outfit. I normally wear self coloured or tartan top cuffed. I know it's another question about hose but it would be interesting to know what you think.
    regards
    Dirk 95
    Derek
    I think that I see what you’re saying, kind of like wearing bright red hose with loud Macleod tartan to accent to red line on it?

However, I still think I’d pass on white hose. I just don’t like white socks, kilted or otherwise.

And any tartan with white in it would still have other colors to play off of if you wanted to have a match of some kind.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you wear them? Sure. Should you? Up to you. Would I? Nope.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you can wear them if you like then go ahead. I would suggest getting the best pair you can, preferably hand knit, that seems to make a difference in how they look, for me natural is much better than white.

7. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White hose would not be everyone's choice. On a slightly wider point, the traditional kilt wearers thinking goes along the lines of not bothering too much with the matching of colours with anything and particularly with one's hose.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have white in your kilt, a line or pattern, can you wear white or ecru hose
    Seems to me that most traditional kiltwearers didn't usually think in those terms, in terms of matching the kilt-colours with the hose. I know I don't, I prefer co-ordinating colours (which often involves contrast).

I don't wear them normally unless it's black and white formal night...I know some are against them as they feel they look cheap or like a rental outfit.
    Preferences in Hose-colour is one of those things of fashion that changes over time, for no apparent reason.

In Victorian times tartan hose were common, and selfcoloured kilt-hose were nearly always grey, brown, or (less often) brick red.

Through much of the 20th century selfcoloured kilt-hose were usually seen in a limited number of colours such as Lovat blue, Lovat green, stone, and ecru.

Starting, what, around the 1970s ecru hose began replacing the traditional tartan hose for Evening Dress. Then in the 1990s gleaming pure-white hose became hugely popular for Evening dress.

Now the fashion has moved away from white and ecru and to anything but: black, charcoal grey, navy blue, royal blue, red, claret, even yellow and purple.

There's no right and wrong in it, it's just the vagaries of fashion.

Here are some top pipers gathered in Scotland for a formal event, as you see none are wearing white or ecru hose.

The same here, dignitaries at a Highland Games

I normally wear self-coloured or tartan top cuffed.
    I really like the tartan-top hose, to me they look classy. They were popular in the 1920s and they've never gone out of style.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd April 20 at 05:48 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I really like the tartan-top hose, to me they look classy. They were popular in the 1920s and they've never gone out of style.
    I'll second this. It's a shame that House of Cheviot no longer makes their tartan-top selfcoloured line anymore. It was nice of them to sell me a pair from back stock, though. I simply adore them for dressier occasions.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    I'll second this. It's a shame that House of Cheviot no longer makes their tartan-top selfcoloured line anymore. It was nice of them to sell me a pair from back stock, though. I simply adore them for dressier occasions.
    Some can still be found.

Ancient Scott:

https://horseandhoof.com/house-of-ch...t-113854-p.asp

https://www.kiltsocks.co.uk/product/...ancient-scott/

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I actually ordered from Horse and Hoof using that form before and they sent me an apology e-mail saying that the item was discontinued and that they could not process my order.

I did not know about kiltsocks.co.uk.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's strange about the tartan-top hose is that at the last Highland Games I attended (before they all got cancelled) a shop had a whole box of them.

Some would match modern red & green tartans, some would match ancient blue & green tartans.

Here they are, lower left, in the 1936 R G Lawrie catalogue

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast