X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first kilt arrived

Well, I recently got my first kilt -- an 8 yard wool kilt from USA Kilts. It took about six weeks to get, which isn't too bad given that the tartan had to be ordered from Scotland.

The kilt looks very well made, but then I really don't have anything to compare it to. In order to keep the bottom of the kilt above my knees, I have to wear it higher than I was originally expecting, but according to what I have read here on X Marks the Scot, that is normal. Apparently kilts are properly worn fairly high.

I have to say that the folks at USA Kilts were great to deal with. I didn't get to meet Rocky or Eric, but the folks I did meet did a good job with my order. I would certainly have no qualms at all about buying from USA Kilts again.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tuathanach For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures, pictures, pictures!!!

And yes, kilts are properly worn quite high compared to where men are wearing their jeans these days.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes what Fr Bill says.

It's unfortunate that many Americans who recently get into wearing kilts, only having jeans and pants as a reference, wear their kilts too low on the hips.

This makes the kilts hang too low, covering the knees.

The unfortunate part is that many of these people, rather than wearing their kilts higher, want the kilt made shorter to compensate for their wearing it too low.

I see now all the time men's kilts being sold which are quite short, shorter than kilts would have been made in the old days, except for a boy.

Standard more or less for men of average height is a 24" overall length. In the old days men would have to be quite short to wear a 23" length. Yet I see average-height Americans wearing kilts of 23", 22", and even shorter!

I've been wearing traditional kilts for 45 years now, this to me is my ideal height (I'm the piper)

Last edited by OC Richard; 2nd April 20 at 05:43 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: