X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to sidetrack the OP I wonder how much Highland dancing dress has changed over time? I pulled out a book acquired when I was active in a local Celtic dance group and it would seem that not much has really altered at all. Just a few photos from this publication with a copyright of 1955.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Marshall For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About Highland Dancing attire, people in that world would have to inform us, but my impression is that it's constantly evolving.

Yes those 1955 photos look surprisingly modern, with the white 'arasaid" tartans and vests. It appears that Highland Dress attire hasn't changed all that much since then.

This film, from a Highland Games in Scotland in 1950, shows very old-fashioned Highland Dance costumes, the women in jackets, sporrans, plaids, bonnets, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu6e2U3Du_I

This film from a Highland Games in Scotland in 1960 still shows the women wearing sporrans, jackets, and bonnets though the plaids are gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb7yQwf6vLs

I know that recently I've seen the dance tartans get more and more vivid, with almost neon Day-Glo colours.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 9th April 20 at 07:05 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    About Highland Dancing attire, people in that world would have to inform us, but my impression is that it's constantly evolving.

Yes those 1955 photos look surprisingly modern, with the white 'arasaid" tartans and vests. It appears that Highland Dress attire hasn't changed all that much since then.

This film, from a Highland Games in Scotland in 1950, shows very old-fashioned Highland Dance costumes, the women in jackets, sporrans, plaids, bonnets, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu6e2U3Du_I

This film from a Highland Games in Scotland in 1960 still shows the women wearing sporrans, jackets, and bonnets though the plaids are gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb7yQwf6vLs

I know that recently I've seen the dance tartans get more and more vivid, with almost neon Day-Glo colours.
    Wonderful video clips! Thanks for sharing the links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard,
    I remember sitting at your house back around 1978 looking at the Scottish shopper wish book. When I could afford one, I bought a white seal skin day sporran, #13 on your third photo page, which I still have. In the 80's and early 90's every time i went TDY to Fort Lewis I'd make it a point to spend an afternoon at the store.

I miss that.
    Dave Chambers

The Order of the Dandelion, The Auld Crabbits, Clan Cameron, Kilted Scouters, WoodBadge Group, Heart o' Texians

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that was the wish book!

How cool that you were able to visit their shop. I never did, my first visit to Seattle was just a couple years ago, while my son was attending university up there.

The closest I came was visiting Scotch House in San Francisco. That place was cool.

Both shops are long gone now.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12