X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

National Tartan Day in the US

Today, April 6th, is National Tartan day in the US!

Get yer Scot on!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buchanan Tartan - Ancient 02.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	332.2 KB 
ID:	38485

Paul
    Mac na h-Alba

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to PinellasPaul For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada and other nations too.

Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then, 'tis a glorious day indeed, my friend! Thank you for sharing, Father Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to PinellasPaul For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    It's not Scottish though.

8. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    It's not Scottish though.
    I cant say that I have come across it here. Perhaps its probably/possibly some new fangled thing going on in Edinburgh or, Glasgow? Although I expect that the present lockdown may have snookered that idea. Do I recall some years ago, a Scots First Minister parading about in a pinstripe kilt suit somewhere across the Atlantic on some such occasion?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 6th April 20 at 09:30 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tartan Day is a North American celebration of Scottish heritage on April 6, the date on which the Declaration of Arbroath was signed in 1320. It originated in Canada in the mid-1980s. It spread to other communities of the Scottish diaspora in the 1990s. In Australia the similar International Tartan Day is held on July 1, the anniversary of the repeal of the 1747 Act of Proscription that banned the wearing of tartan.

On March 9, 1986, a 'Tartan Day' to promote Scottish heritage in Canada was proposed at a meeting of the Federation of Scottish Clans in Nova Scotia. Jean Watson, President of Clan Lamont, petitioned provincial legislatures to recognize April 6 as Tartan Day. The first such proclamation was by Nova Scotia in April 1987. On December 19, 1991, in response to action initiated by the Clans & Scottish Societies of Canada, the Ontario Legislature passed a resolution proclaiming April 6 as Tartan Day, following the example of other Canadian provinces.

Meeting in 1997 in Sarasota, Florida, the Scottish Coalition USA looked to see Tartan Day recognized in the US as it was being observed in Canada. In 1998, the efforts of the Scottish Coalition with the leading help of Trent Lott saw the United States Senate Resolution adopt April 6 as National Tartan Day. This led in turn to the Congressional and then Presidential passing of the recognition of Tartan Day Observance on April 6 each year.

In Australia, wearing tartan on July 1 has been encouraged since 1989. The day has been promoted as International Tartan Day in Australia since 1996 and has been formally recognised by many states, but not at national level.

If you care to, you may see more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartan_Day

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to PinellasPaul For This Useful Post:

Sandia Park, NM, USA (near Albuquerque, NM)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody here but us chickens...

With the stay-at-home directives from both my bosses and the governor of New Mexico, the only ones who got to enjoy Tartan Day here on the farm were my family and the chickens. Still, it was fun to wear a kilt all day.

Rob.
    Rev. Rob, Clan MacMillan, NM, USA
    CCXX, CCXXI - Quidquid necesse est.
    If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all. (Thumperian Principle)

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Rob, ClanMacMillan, NM For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wearing my kilt today in China, although it is already the 8th here. However, it is also my wedding anniversary, so it is important for me to dress nicely!

Andrew

15. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes these are diaspora things, like St Patrick's Day.

No need to celebrate your Irish heritage if you're Irish living in Ireland, or your Scottish heritage if you're Scottish living in Scotland.

Oktoberfest functions more or less as a German heritage day here, Cinco de Mayo as Mexican heritage day.

Scottish-Americans are playing catch-up with those others. Outlander is helping.

I need to get Tartan Day going at Disneyland here! We have Dapper Day and Adventureland Day and Tiki Day and Bats Day, so everyone is familiar with the concept. "Kilt Day" would be pithy and unambiguous.

Well I have a year to get the word out for Kilt Day 2021.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone should be interested in their heritage.

They should be familiar with its history and customs and they should learn from its darkest hours and greatest defeats.
    Everyone should try to be proud of their heritage, if their pride is based on knowledge and understanding. Everyone should know their heritage well enough that when they speak of it, they speak out of knowledge that they have learned and earned; not something they think they heard from someone somewhere.

Every heritage has given something good to this world; and every heritage still can. Let each of us bring the good that our heritage has given us to the table and use it in our special and unique way to bless the brotherhood of man. Let each use our unique history and heritage, our own culture and custom to build a new future and a new history that is greater than ever before.

And I know that every man and woman that bears a drop, or pint, or quart or a gallon of blood that came from one who still or once wore a kilt, or a plaid, or a sgian dubh, or a bonnet, that scraped out a living on a wee bit of dirt 'tween rocks, or fought and died for freedom a thousand years ago or a dozen; these I know are the ones who will stand and lead by word or deed or encouragement onto a brighter day with tartan proudly borne. - Paul

19. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to PinellasPaul For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast