X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: First Kilt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile First Kilt

Hi

Just received my book TAOK, thanks Barb for writing it , having spent the past few days reading, I guess Im still confused about splits. I am making my husband a kilt with 13 oz Aberdeen Football Club Tartan (we are from Aberdeen and he is a life long fan) and think i have his measurements correct. He is 5'5" tall, his waist measured 38 (about 1/2 inch down from his belly button) and that was snug, and his hips measured 41.5 loose, he has a flat butt, or no butt, and i got his length at 19. I thought for waist according to book would be 20 and 18 and hips ? not sure because it would make it smaller than his waist at 19 3/4 and 21 3/4, what do you think?

Thanks

Susan

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Susan,

I think we've answered your questions about measurements and splits elsewhere in another post? If not, let me know.

The length does sound a bit short, though. My dad was 5' nothing, and his length was 19". Although 19" could be OK for your husband, I think it would be worth checking with this method for measuring length:

Take a belt, and buckle it on around his middle at his true waist over a shirt, and pull it snug. Don’t put it through the belt loops of his pants, and don’t let him push it down once you have it buckled. If you have it on right, it will sit around his middle higher than he would wear his pants. That’s OK – this is where a kilt is worn. Be sure to buckle it on around his tummy, not below it. Have him look straight ahead, and measure straight down his thigh from the center of the belt to the top of his knee cap. Be sure that he is looking straight ahead.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com