X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New information re DW Stewart, author of Old and Rare Scottish Tartan's (1893)

My apologies that I haven't visited the forum for quite a while. In my last thread about Mr DW Stewart I lamented that I could no longer access the STA webpage where I believed I had read that Mr Stewart had emigrated to Australia after unfortunate financial and personal difficulties.
    Finally thanks to the Wayback Machine I was able to access a version of the STA website from 2011 and hey presto, there was the story.
    I came to an odd dead end in my investigations in Coolgardie, Western Australia ( our Wild West in the 1800's early 1900's)
    because the DW Stewart buried in the Boulder Cemetary had no records! Apparently very odd and I was told by an historian there that I had caused consternation ��
    I have another lead to a research group who might be able to help.
    Wish me luck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E7279275-172D-4A9F-91AF-DC5025BAB1E3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	38576

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Stewart of Galloway For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    best of luck in your search, please keep us updated.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for doing all that legwork!

What is a "remittance man"? (Peoples separated by a common language etc.)
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

Usually the black sheep of a family (with money) who was sent to the colonies and paid to stay away.

According to Mark Twain:
    Passengers explained the term to me. They said that dissipated ne'er-do-wells belonging to important families in England and Canada were not cast off by their people while there was any hope of reforming them, but when that last hope perished at last, the ne'er-do-well was sent abroad to get him out of the way. He was shipped off with just enough money in his pocket—no, in the purser's pocket—for the needs of the voyage—and when he reached his destined port he would find a remittance awaiting him there. Not a large one, but just enough to keep him a month. A similar remittance would come monthly thereafter. It was the remittance-man's custom to pay his month's board and lodging straightway—a duty which his landlord did not allow him to forget—then spree away the rest of his money in a single night, then brood and mope and grieve in idleness till the next remittance came. It is a pathetic life.
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 25th April 20 at 06:08 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many thanks I shall :)

I certainly will thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    best of luck in your search, please keep us updated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re 'remittance man'

As Bruce so well posted, a Remittance man was a young reprobate sent away to a far flung outpost of Empire and sent a regular remittance of money with the charge that he should stay away. The wealthy did that. Reprobate sons of poor people were a different matter.
    We still use the term in jest here in Australia (amongst older types such as myself ;) ) and it means more just a reprobate expelled by the law or fleeing family etc.
    Mr DW Stewart was no youth when he left Scotland, probably in his 40's. Going guarantor for a hosiery business that went out of business and his wife leaving him must have 'drove him to drink'. Quite a judgemental statement, undoubtedly bad feeling all round at the time. I suspect Mr Stewart decided to give the Western Australian gold rush a go, having nothing to hold him in the old country.
    My ancestors left Scotland in the 1890's (similar time) because their lucrative shipping business went bust due to a Scotland wide depression at that time.
    So... I take this 'took to the bottle' and 'remittance man' talk with a grain of salt.
    It certainly looks like he came to Australia so here's hoping I can find him in the Old (Aussie) West!
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Stewart of Galloway For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a woman that drove me to drink, and I never wrote to thank her!

Dave

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Crazy Dave For This Useful Post: