X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towel Method

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towel Method

Hi

So done a lot of reading on here and in TAOK, and with starting my very first kilt, I got confused on my measurements. So after trying the towel method I think I have a solution. My husbands measurements now are 38 waist and 42.5 hips. My splits being 20/18 and 21.25/21.25! Does this sound OK? His measurements before were 38 and 41 or theres about

Susan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, and welcome to the forum! Just so you know, Barb (who wrote TAOK) is a frequent poster on here, along with a number of other very talented kiltmakers. So don't worry if you don't get a response right away - they're all usually pretty good about answering questions.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the great things about a forum like this is that you are not limited by just a few lines like on facebook or other social media.

You can explain you problem with as many words as it takes. A hint - You can help others, help you, by posting as many pictures as you feel. Including photos really is one of the best ways to ask a question.

For example - can you post a couple of photos so we can see the guy you are trying to fit? A side shot showing how you measured would really help.

The towel method is one way of simulating the front aprons falling straight down on guys who have a bit of a belly.

If you look at the guy from the side and think about the aprons falling straight down you should be able to see that all the taper is in the back.
    This is why the waist taper is greater in the front than the back and the hip taper is greater in the back than the front.

By greater we only mean something more than half. So start by dividing the waist circumference in half and the hip circumference in half. Then the splits sort of begin to make sense.

Then look at where the side seam of a pair of trousers would be. You want the edges of the aprons to fall straight down about where the side seam of trousers is.
    For guys with a belly, at the waist, there is more in the front, than in the back. But down at the hips the greater part is in the back.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 25th April 20 at 01:57 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Sorry I am new to posting threads and making kilts, but I will try and be more descriptive and post pictures in future. Now for your delight I have one hairy Scotsman for you perusal. I attached 3 photos, one showing where i measured his natural waist?, one showing his beer belly and one showing the towel method that i think i did right. As you can see he doesn't have much junk in the trunk, his butt is pretty flat. The red lines are where I measured. Is this correct? His measurements being Waist 38, Hips 42.5. Splits being 20/18 and hips split even at 21 1/4?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your post seems to be missing its pictures. Maybe this might help?

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...r-posts-92851/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBlues View Post
    My husband's measurements now are 38 waist and 42.5 hips. My splits being 20/18 and 21.25/21.25! Does this sound OK? His measurements before were 38 and 41 or theres about.
    Susan
    Hi Susan - I think this would work nicely! The only suggestion I have is to make the kilt 1/2" bigger in both the waist and the hips, but put the buckles on at his current measurements. That way, if he expands a little, you'll have some flex. It won't be at all noticeable to have the apron edge covering up a bit of the pleats. But, if he gains even a little bit, and the apron edge no longer covers the underapron, it is really really obvious. So I'd use 20.25/18.25 and 21.5/21.5
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoping the pictures post now!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	38592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	38593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	38594

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to SusanBlues For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBlues View Post
    Hoping the pictures post now!!!
    You got it!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Susanblue: yes, that IS the natural waist.
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jhockin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When making the kilt you need to make the upper edge at the front level with the back, or cut it out to curve beneath the bulge, but that can be rather unflattering.
    If you try to make the top of the aprons along the red line then the kilt will most likely be tilted, pushed out at the back and pressing on the thighs at the front. The aprons should not be close to the body at hip level but fall from the 'bay window' - which might make the hip measurement of the kilt rather more than the actual size.
    The structure of the lining should keep the kilt supported and level - and should fit into the back of the waist quite accurately. There is a lot more shaping than the two measurements might imply because they are not a simple shape stacked one over the other, they are offset.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast