X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10th Seaforths uniform on Ebay?

This is interesting

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pristine-WW...p2056016.l4276

The sporran is clearly marked 10th Seaforths on the back.

It's curious because Seaforths sporrans usually have a metal rim and metal cones. This has an all-leather rim and leather cones like Cameron Highlanders sporrans.

Then there's a Sutherland/Black Watch tartan kilt, and two Argylls badges.

I need to look into that Battalion and see if I can find photos.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either the seller doesn't know what they're talking about, or they are 'at it'.

Like all Seaforth Bns, the 10th wore MacKenzie, not Government tartan. Lots of pictures available online such as this one.

The kilt looks to be an Argyll's one from the first half of the 20th century, the capbadge and shoulder bar support this. As for the Royal Stewart Beanie...............

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The price is a bit much, I think! But the colours in the kilt are wonderful. That green looks like Wilson's colours. (?)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    That green looks like Wilson's colours. (?)
    It's similar but with more blue, less yellow. By WWI of course, all dyes were artifical.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post

Like all Seaforth Bns, the 10th wore MacKenzie, not Government tartan. Lots of pictures available online such as this one.
    Thanks for that link, though from the photo I can't make out the tartan quite.

It would be nice to find a clear photo of Other Ranks to see the sporran style. I'm interested that the sporran isn't made like ordinary Seaforths sporrans.

From what I read, the 10th Seaforths was a reserve unit tasked with training drafts for the other battalions.

BTW the 5th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders wore a different cap badge, totally different sporran, and wore the Government tartan, so there is precedent for the possibility of the 10th wearing that tartan.

Last edited by OC Richard; 28th April 20 at 06:44 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love reading these historical bits where you fellows who actually know something bat it back and forth. I love military history, but know very little about it and find it often frankly confusing.

Cheers fellows, and have at it!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love reading these historical bits where you fellows who actually know something bat it back and forth. I love military history, but know very little about it and find it often frankly confusing.

Cheers fellows, and have at it!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.