X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadian War Museum and You Tube

Video from You Tuber Skallagrim (Yes, i am that bored) about his visit to the Canadian War Museum, November 2019 titled "The Fascinating History of Scottish Highland Warriors." It contains several historical errors but they also got some of it right. And at least Skallagrim had the pleats to the back. In my opinion it also documents why so many Canadians are still so passionate about their Scottish roots. You may either like it or hate it, i'm on the fence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMGwZqpGFIo

Jacques
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jacques For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this. Over the years on this there have been some who incorrectly believe the kilt is a Scottish only garment.
    Btw, which historic errors are you referring to?
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Over the years on this there have been some who incorrectly believe the kilt is a Scottish only garment.
    Indeed there are some who do most certainly believe that the civilian tartan kilt is a Scottish only garment and they do very much believe that they are correct in doing so.

However, let us not open that can of worms.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 29th April 20 at 08:41 AM. Reason: typo.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Just watched the video a second time and may have been too quick to judge. The one error that stands out the most to me is during the battle at the plains of Abraham, 1759. It was stated the highland soldiers dropped their muskets and charged the french with swords. i can look through my small library if you want a reference, but it is my understanding that the Highlanders did charge the French with swords drawn ahead of some of the other regiments and were stopped a short time later when some of the french regrouped. At this point the Highlanders, which had taken many casualties during this hasty ambush by the French, took up defensive positions and waited for other regiments to catch up as they were out numbered. But they never discarded their muskets. The British army as a whole were very well versed with the proper use of the musket sling, and the Highlanders i think, were well disciplined and smart enough to not discard their primary weapon. i dislike hearing this story, especially by some one in authority because it gives people less knowledgeable the misconception the Highland Regiments were undisciplined troops with lots of brawn and no brains. They had both.

Jacques
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jacques For This Useful Post: