X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potential vest option

Hello learned people, I have nearly completed my first ever kilt (box pleated, Tara/Murphy tartan, following TAoK and supplement very closely indeed!!), and will post pics once I have finished it properly (the lining fabric (textured linen) is still drying on the clothes line after a hot wash).
    I only have a navy vest, part of my pipe band uniform, so I have looked into making myself one with my newfound tailoring skills (I have enjoyed sewing since early childhood, but have zero attention span, so mostly make simple garments).
    I have come across this glorious 1890s reproduction pattern, double breasted, with a single central point, and am considering making this anyway (in medium-heavy black linen). Would this be a “yay” or a “nay” for wearing with my new kilt for solo piping engagements?
    For reference, and to clarify my user name, I am a fairly female looking woman, 5’0”, and have never, ever been mistaken for a man.....
    963A10A4-C589-4881-BA0B-51F41E769BD7.jpeg

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Ali For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    Hello learned people, I have nearly completed my first ever kilt (box pleated, Tara/Murphy tartan, following TAoK and supplement very closely indeed!!), and will post pics once I have finished it properly (the lining fabric (textured linen) is still drying on the clothes line after a hot wash).
    I only have a navy vest, part of my pipe band uniform, so I have looked into making myself one with my newfound tailoring skills (I have enjoyed sewing since early childhood, but have zero attention span, so mostly make simple garments).
    I have come across this glorious 1890s reproduction pattern, double breasted, with a single central point, and am considering making this anyway (in medium-heavy black linen). Would this be a “yay” or a “nay” for wearing with my new kilt for solo piping engagements?
    For reference, and to clarify my user name, I am a fairly female looking woman, 5’0”, and have never, ever been mistaken for a man.....

Hi Ali,

I for one think it would look awesome with your kilt. You could put the point in the back and do the front straight across too if you were concerned about sporran interference.

That cut would look awesome in velvet as well.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to seeing the photos of the finished work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That has a ton of potential! I think it would be a unique look but definitely complimentary to a kilt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would look just fine. But, keep in mind that over a kilt you're not going to get that narrow-waisted Victorian profile, since the vest/waistcoat is going to have to also be going over top of the bulky fabric of the kilt. I don't think that will matter, but, it will not look exactly like the picture is all.

(Either way, I don't think you need to worry about being mistaken for a man. Most women even in pipe band uniform, even if boxy and ill-fitting, are usually identifiable as female.)
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Katia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a gorgeous piece! You may have to work it out with the rise of the kilt, but I think it'll look amazing!

Hope finishing the kilt is going well...I find I get a little bogged down at that stage, it can be such a change of momentum from pleating and sewing :-)