X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79th Cameron Highlanders of Canada

Good afternoon chaps,

If I am not mistaken we have a plethora of kilted-unit history buffs in our midst, and a number of Canadians, and I am hoping that these two groups overlap.

I am doing some family history research in my free time, I know there is a separate forum for that, and have been transcribing my g.grandfather's service record. It appears that he served with the 79th Cameron Highlanders of Canada for the duration of WWI. Ironically he went to Manitoba for a family vacation just before WWI started, so he sent the family home to Scotland and enlisted.
    Anyway, I would love to find some pictures. So I was wondering if any of you history buffs were aware of any repositories of photographs from this era. I have visited the regimental website and have seen the representational photos, but was hoping there might be a collection somewhere.

He served as company quartermaster sergeant major for the 27th Battalion, and as a Lewis gun instructor for an as yet unidentified training battalion (illegible notation on the file), so I'm hoping that those facts increase the likelihood of a picture existing. Sadly a picture is the only thing missing from his file, I have everything else.

This may be a long shot, but thank you for entertaining my fantasy,

Thanks,
    Doug

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to DougH For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to you on your quest!

About that particular unit I don't know much, I will say there's a Great War Forum (if I remember the name correctly) that has very knowledgeable people on it.

As you mentioned oftentimes the best photos are found in the individual regimental histories, journals, and websites. My only issue with these is that they tend to use small images, little postage-stamp size pictures which would be fine for the margin of a journal...but it would be nice once in a while to have a high-resolution photo.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Doug.

One place to check would be the Facebook group for the 27th Battalion (CEF) re-enactment group. They are in Manitoba and have a lot of great info about the BN.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea, thanks for the suggestion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Doug. Library and Archives Canada has digitized a lot of military records from the First World War. If you have your grandfather's service number that can be a great help in navigating them. Sometimes you have to be a little creative, in hitting just the right combination of data points, but I have had great success finding records. (note - names can get spell wrong, or they used initials instead of full names, etc.)

You can find them at https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discov...l-records.aspx

Best of Luck.

Robert