X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scottish Regiment/Tartan Identification (Picture)

Hello again chaps,
    I'm still at the genealogy game, and I found a picture I need help identifying. It has my g.great uncle's name on it, so I'm guessing it to be WWI era. Haven't found any paper records to go with it yet.
    If anyone can recognize the tartan and or guess at the regiment I would be obliged.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shand.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	38737

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like the Government sett (Black Watch tartan) but that isn't a precise indicator of regiment without other clues.
    Was he in British or Canadian service?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-of-Cedars View Post
    That looks like the Government sett (Black Watch tartan) but that isn't a precise indicator of regiment without other clues.
    Was he in British or Canadian service?
    British service. I'm trying to see if the person who sent me the picture can get a higher resolution scan that might reveal the cap badge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougH View Post
    British service. I'm trying to see if the person who sent me the picture can get a higher resolution scan that might reveal the cap badge.
    I looked for that too, as the Black Watch cap badge is large and hard to miss, but I was reading a wiki article on the history of the red hackle in that regiment, and when it was granted it was worn in lieu of the capbadge on the tam'o'shanter. That may have changed by WW1, but the presence of a hackle and the absence of the capbadge may be indicative of him being in the Black Watch (unless there are other regiments that did the same, and we can't see the colour of the hackle.)

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougH View Post
    I could be totally wrong, but I don't actually see a cap badge. I could again be totally wrong, but the pleats on the kilt could be box pleats, which, along with government tartan, could indicate Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stand to be corrected here, but I don't see a hackle in the chap's bonnet, so probably not Black Watch?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here is another suppostion, if the picture is of a new recruit in training, they may not have any badges, shoulder flashes, hackles, or other regalia available at the time the picture was taken... (or war-time shortages)
    Last edited by Dale-of-Cedars; 14th May 20 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-of-Cedars View Post
    And here is another suppostion, if the picture is of a new recruit in training, they may not have any badges, shoulder flashes, hackles, or other regalia available at the time the picture was taken... (or war-time shortages)
    I'm leaning this way as well. With no insignia of any sort, it could very well be a trainee getting his photo taken in his first uniform. He also appears to be pretty well-fed and soft for the times, so it's unlikely that he'd spent any time in action when this photo was taken.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's Government tartan for certain. A better scan might allow a guess at the buttons, and also the insignia, or what ever it is, at the bottom of the epaulette.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I'm leaning this way as well. With no insignia of any sort, it could very well be a trainee getting his photo taken in his first uniform. He also appears to be pretty well-fed and soft for the times, so it's unlikely that he'd spent any time in action when this photo was taken.
    I was afraid of that. He is definitely rather comfortable for a man of that era.
    Oh well, thanks for the help. If I find another picture, or get a higher res scan I will update the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast