X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thumbs up to the Camerons

Today May 14th is Cameronians Day in the Royal Regiment of Scotland _ see a Cameron give 'em a thumbs up.

https://theroyalregimentofscotland.org/cameronian-day/

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted redleg For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many confuse the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles, a Lowland regiment) with the Camerons (the Cameron Highlanders).

The Cameronians aren't one of the antecedent regiments of the Royal Regiment Of Scotland, because when faced with amalgamation in 1968 the Cameronians chose to be disbanded outright.

Possibly the only British military unit to be named for a religious denomination.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then why is it celebrated by the RROS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted redleg View Post
    Possibly because, as the article says, "When the Regiment was disbanded, three quarters of all ranks who remained in the army chose to transfer to other Scottish Regiments."

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted redleg View Post
    It's complicated. I had a friend who was a young officer in the Cameronians when the regular battalion disbanded in 1967 - he finished his army career as a Lt Col. commanding a battalion of The Parachute Regiment. The reason it's complicated is because only the regular (i.e. full-time) battalion of the Cameronians was disbanded back in 1967. As a regiment the Cameronians lived on in its territorial units (i.e. part-time reservists) and although later merged and re-merged their heritage remains to this day in companies of The Royal Regiment of Scotland's 6th Battalion (6 SCOT), the 52nd Lowland Division of the Territorial Army.

I might be wrong in this and I'll gladly be corrected if I am, but my guess is that the dark-green jackets of the The Royal Regiment of Scotland's ceremonial uniforms were adopted in honour of the Cameronian heritage. The Cameronians were Scotland's only 'rifle' regiment and in common with other 'rifle' regiments in the British Army wore green jackets.
    Last edited by Dr Bee; 16th May 20 at 07:23 AM.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dr Bee For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bee View Post
    It's complicated. I had a friend who was a young officer in the Cameronians when the regular battalion disbanded in 1967 - he finished his army career as a Lt Col. commanding a battalion of The Parachute Regiment. The reason it's complicated is because only the regular (i.e. full-time) battalion of the Cameronians was disbanded back in 1967. As a regiment the Cameronians lived on in its territorial units (i.e. part-time reservists) and although later merged and re-merged their heritage remains to this day in companies of The Royal Regiment of Scotland's 6th Battalion (6 SCOT), the 52nd Lowland Division of the Territorial Army.
    The 52nd Lowland Divison no longer exists, nor does the Territorial Army; they are part of 51 Infantry Bridge and the Army Reserve respectively.

I might be wrong in this and I'll gladly be corrected if I am, but my guess is that the dark-green jackets of the The Royal Regiment of Scotland's ceremonial uniforms were adopted in honour of the Cameronian heritage. The Cameronians were Scotland's only 'rifle' regiment and in common with other 'rifle' regiments in the British Army wore green jackets.
    The colour of the RRS Jacket is Archer's Green, obviously a reference to the colour worn by the Royal company of Archers. I'm not sure if that is the same shade as Rifle Green.

The Cameronians may have been the last, but they were by no means the only Scottish Rifle Regiment although they were the only Regular regiment, for example; the Highland Borderers were a 19th century Volunteer Regiment.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bee View Post
    my guess is that the dark-green jackets of the The Royal Regiment of Scotland's ceremonial uniforms were adopted in honour of the Cameronian heritage.
    That's a very interesting idea, and new to me.

The timing of things is that in 1914 Full Dress was abolished, and from that time soldiers' dressiest uniforms were their khaki-drab Service Dress.

Then for the Coronation in 1953 a smarter appearance was desired, however it was thought that scarlet would be too expensive, so troops were put into dark blue jackets, except for the Highland regiments which were put into Archer Green coatees. So Highland troops were wearing green at a time when the Cameronians were an ongoing concern.

I had always guessed that Highland troops were put into green in 1953 because green had been worn by Highland regimental pipers since 1860.

It's strange, the persistence and growth of green doublets. The 79th's facing-colour was green (the cuffs etc of their scarlet coats) and in the 18th century they, like other regiments, had their musicians in 'reversed colours' that is coats of the facing colour, for the 79th dark green coats.

In 1840 the 79th put their pipers into dark green doublets, and in 1860 green doublets were adopted by all Highland regimental pipers. Odd, in a way, because one would think the Gordons pipers would be in yellow doublets and so forth. Evidently the facing colour aspect of the 79th pipers' green doublets had been forgot, and it was "pipers equals green" for all.

The next boost green got was in 1953 when all Highland soldiers were put into green coatees, which eventually were replaced by green doublets.

But the spread of the green doublets wasn't done, because when the RRS was formed all Scottish troops both Highland and Lowland were put into them.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 16th May 20 at 08:46 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly I read that the Cameronians were given their green jackets in 1882, far more recently that I had realized.

It was then that they were given the designation "rifles".

From their raising in the 17th century till 1882 they wore the standard red jackets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, the Cameronians have no link or connection and never have had, to clan Cameron at all, neither actual, implied or in any way at all. The name Cameronian's was derived from the name of their founder, Richard Cameron, a covenanter who would have found himself on the other side of the field from the highland clan.
    To the King over the water

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AbernethyCameron For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cameronian's first action as a regiment was at the battle of Dunkeld where they fought the jacobite army recently commanded by Dundee (till he was killed at Killiecrankie) to a standstill. Their 1st Colonel William Clelland was killed and command was taken over by a Munro who was a veteran of the covenant wars and the father of Colonel Munro of Fort William Henry fame.

Whilst there's often moralising about the treatment of Highlanders post rebellions it is important to reflect how Highland hosts were used to suppress the Covenantors and could be equally as capable of the same kind of atrocities later perpetrated upon them post 45.

"You faught like divil's, your only rival's when you were at Dunkeld boys".

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post: