X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

silly photo, nice tweed jacket

Some might be put off by the silly photos

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gordon-Clan...p2056016.l4276

But the tweed Argyll jacket is quite nice, purchased in San Francisco in the 1960s. I would assume it was purchased from Scotch House, and the jacket is almost certainly tailored in Scotland. It's apparently in fine condition.

Not sure about the kilt, I can't see if some of the narrow lines are white or yellow. Dress Gordon if the latter, if the former perhaps Dress Lamont? Or Dress Black Watch? The kilt is a nice full length, unlike many of the ones people get nowadays.

The sporran is youth-sized.

That jacket and kilt were probably purchased during the period that Donald Shaw Ramsay was in San Francisco. He started Scotch House in the late 1950s and sold the business in the late 1960s. He was a piper of the highest order.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 15th May 20 at 07:37 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does look like a nice vintage jacket with real horn buttons. Too bad the seller doesn't know how to properly measure a jacket to determine sizing. 40" shoulders??? 9" from shoulder to underarm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Narrow lines are white and yellow. Dress Campbell of Argyll.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    It does look like a nice vintage jacket with real horn buttons. Too bad the seller doesn't know how to properly measure a jacket to determine sizing. 40" shoulders??? 9" from shoulder to underarm?
    That's the thing with shopping vintage jackets on Ebay. There's a standard way to measure and describe things used by vintage clothing people. But you get sellers who don't acquaint themselves, and they give little to go on.

Standard is to give armpit-to-armpit (across the inside back) which when doubled gives an approximate chest size.

That might be what the seller means, maybe I'll PM them.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on the attached photo, she replied with the following;

image.jpeg.jpg

Point 2 point shoulder: 20”
    Same with chest
    Body length:25”
    Sleeves 24”
    Waist:18 1/2”
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for doing the leg-work!

I'm not used to seeing the "shoulder seam to shoulder seam" possibly because two jackets with the same chest "armpit to armpit" could have different "shoulder seam to shoulder seam" measurements due to having a different amount of padding in the shoulders.

One puzzling measurement I've seen is the "around the shoulders" thing: you wrap a measuring tape all around the jacket near the tops of the arms, while wearing the jacket. I've seen suit makers ask for it so it must be helpful to the tailors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Thanks for doing the leg-work!

I'm not used to seeing the "shoulder seam to shoulder seam" possibly because two jackets with the same chest "armpit to armpit" could have different "shoulder seam to shoulder seam" measurements due to having a different amount of padding in the shoulders.

One puzzling measurement I've seen is the "around the shoulders" thing: you wrap a measuring tape all around the jacket near the tops of the arms, while wearing the jacket. I've seen suit makers ask for it so it must be helpful to the tailors.
    NP OCR, we're all in this together!

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean