X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scottish attitude toward waistcoats

I was watching this interview with a Scottish actor, and it was interesting to hear waistcoats being linked to...well I don't know if I can put it into print (skip to 1:13)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_l6xt9pFg0

Now, he's talking about "Saxon" attire, and the character he portrays is English. But he's from Greenock, a footballer-turned-actor.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd May 20 at 11:51 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I was watching this interview with a Scottish actor, and it was interesting to hear waistcoats being linked to...well I don't know if I can put it into print (skip to 1:13)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_l6xt9pFg0

Now, he's talking about "Saxon" attire, and the character he portrays is English. But he's from Greenock, a footballer-turned-actor.
    Richard, if you've never seen the series, the character wears a shirt, tie, waistcoat combo - but not the jacket. I suspect that is what he is referring to. Visually it does separate him from everyone else who is in uniforms or sports coats.

Excellent drama, by the way. I would heartily recommend it.
    Last edited by plaid preacher; 22nd May 20 at 01:36 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting attired in suitable civilian( and not including civilian kilt band band attire) kit is a judgement call that requires experience and not a little luck. Getting it somewhere near right in one country, or part of a country, will often vary a tad from others, which does on occasion complicate things, so even more experience is useful.

Personally, in the right circumstances, I cannot see anyone in Scotland getting too wound up about a properly fitted waist coat. If the event is casual then an un-buttoned, or buttoned waistcoat works pretty well, but if the event is smarter then I really do think a jacket-----with or without a waistcoat----- needs to be worn.

One thing to always remember is that being overdressed is as undesirable as being underdressed, if you want to cut-a-dash effectively.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 24th May 20 at 01:28 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post: