X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scottish attitude toward waistcoats

I was watching this interview with a Scottish actor, and it was interesting to hear waistcoats being linked to...well I don't know if I can put it into print (skip to 1:13)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_l6xt9pFg0

Now, he's talking about "Saxon" attire, and the character he portrays is English. But he's from Greenock, a footballer-turned-actor.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd May 20 at 11:51 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I was watching this interview with a Scottish actor, and it was interesting to hear waistcoats being linked to...well I don't know if I can put it into print (skip to 1:13)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_l6xt9pFg0

Now, he's talking about "Saxon" attire, and the character he portrays is English. But he's from Greenock, a footballer-turned-actor.
    Richard, if you've never seen the series, the character wears a shirt, tie, waistcoat combo - but not the jacket. I suspect that is what he is referring to. Visually it does separate him from everyone else who is in uniforms or sports coats.

Excellent drama, by the way. I would heartily recommend it.
    Last edited by plaid preacher; 22nd May 20 at 01:36 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting attired in suitable civilian( and not including civilian kilt band band attire) kit is a judgement call that requires experience and not a little luck. Getting it somewhere near right in one country, or part of a country, will often vary a tad from others, which does on occasion complicate things, so even more experience is useful.

Personally, in the right circumstances, I cannot see anyone in Scotland getting too wound up about a properly fitted waist coat. If the event is casual then an un-buttoned, or buttoned waistcoat works pretty well, but if the event is smarter then I really do think a jacket-----with or without a waistcoat----- needs to be worn.

One thing to always remember is that being overdressed is as undesirable as being underdressed, if you want to cut-a-dash effectively.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 24th May 20 at 01:28 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post: