X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wearing an army or marine tartan

Would it be wrong to wear an army or marine kilt if never served? I found 2 used and the guy had served in both. He said if wearing to honor family, it would be fine but I'd hate to upset others. My grandpa and uncle served in the Army and 2 other uncles were Marines, with one of those serving in the Army as well as Marines. I was just so happy to find a couple of kilts in my size that I could afford but now I'm second guessing.

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Would it be wrong to wear an army or marine kilt if never served? I found 2 used and the guy had served in both. He said if wearing to honor family, it would be fine but I'd hate to upset others. My grandpa and uncle served in the Army and 2 other uncles were Marines, with one of those serving in the Army as well as Marines. I was just so happy to find a couple of kilts in my size that I could afford but now I'm second guessing.
    Personally, I think you would be fine. Especially with your family connections. I am US Army retired and I wouldn't be upset in the least.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfectly fine as long as, if asked, you reply that you are wearing it to honor a family member. Veterans will understand and appreciate it. At least this Veteran would.
    "My beloved America, thank you for your children. If your children want to become soldiers I will train them. When they are hungry I will feed them. When they are thirsty I will give them water. When they fight for freedom I will lead them. When they are unsteady on the battlefield I will motivate them. If they die on the battlefield I will bury them. So help me God."

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CelticSire For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank y'all both so much! I just wanted to be sure and I appreciate your time answering as well as thank you for your service. 💞

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a contrary point of view. If you gave me that response, I would just nod silently, and when I turned away, I'd roll my eyes and shake my head.

I don't think many people would engage with you over it, but that doesn't mean that they'd be impressed.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The US Army, USMC, USAF, and USN tartans are unofficial and not accepted by any of the military branches. They are tribute or commemorative tartans and free for anyone to wear.
    As long as you are not trying to pass yourself off as current or former service that you did not actually do, you should not have any problems. Most people in the wider world won't recognize the pattern, and those who do typically won't get huffy.

As for upsetting others... whatever you do or say, if someone isn't offended, then you aren't doing it right.

9. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to KnittedReenactor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up to do or not to do

As a retired member of both the British and American Armed Forces I personally would not be offended if you were to wear these kilts, especially with such strong family ties.
    Wearing the family kilt is a long standing tradition in Scotland and I have witnessed first hand sons and grandsons wear their Paternal Sires Regimental accoutrements on certain military celebrations. As long as you don't let people believe that you are representing that you have served. I would look upon it that you are Honouring all those that have served. If this opinion helps you, then wear with pride and without fear. MARCH ON.
    Aye Yours.

VINCERE-VEL-MORI

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Laird O'the Cowcaddens For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Sorry father bill, if I was treated in such a manner by you I would be offended. Please have the courage of your convictions and say what you are thinking FACE TO FACE.
    Aye Yours.

VINCERE-VEL-MORI

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Laird O'the Cowcaddens For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laird O'the Cowcaddens View Post
    Sorry father bill, if I was treated in such a manner by you I would be offended. Please have the courage of your convictions and say what you are thinking FACE TO FACE.
    I don't share everything with everybody. You wouldn't even know what I was thinking. I'd just smile and nod and continue the conversation. The walking away would come later and it would be private to myself. Nobody would ever know what I was thinking.

I don't know anybody who shares everything they think.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

15. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    -------------

I don't know anybody who shares everything they think.
    Particularly on this website!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

17. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast