X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the standards of the 2008 Scottish Register of Tartans Act. The designs called US military names would not meet the naming conventions, so would not be able to be called what we call them today.

Only the US Coast Guard has officially recognized a Tartan. And even though it is recognized, it is not part of any USCG uniform.

For example when I designed the Dress Blue Tartan, the original name requested was USMC Dress Blue. This name was rejected as I did not have or present a letter from the Corp authorizing the use of USMC. So the name became simply Dress Blue with this in the description. -

The design should be recognizable to anyone who is familiar with the Dress Blue uniform. It may be worn by anyone who has served in the US Marine Corps, who has a family member who is, or was, a Marine, or who wishes to honor those who are, or have served as, Marines.

I do not, and would never wear this Tartan to represent the Uniform of the US Marine Corps as there are no US Marine Corps Tartans and a kilt is not, and never has been, part of a US Marine Corps uniform.

On the other hand the Black Watch Tartan is worn as part of a uniform as are the MacKenzie, and many others. Anyone may wear those designs and never raise an eyebrow.

So it comes down to the intent of the wearer. Is that person wearing a military uniform? If so are they a member of that unit?

And that, really is what it comes down to. Is someone trying to be something they are not.

As the US military Tartans are not part of a uniform, and are designed simply to honor that particular branch or unit, anyone who wears it with respect may do so. At least in my personal opinion.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you knittingreenactor, Laird and Steve. That's why I was asking because I do respect our service men and vets. I appreciate your feedback and thank those that served.

Black watch I understand, my clan is Campbell and many wear it as that but I'd still prefer the ancient Campbell. I will wear my two kilts in honor of my grandfather that served in ww2 and my uncles that served in the other wars and for all that have gave.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Kiltedreenactor posted "The US Army, USMC, USAF, and USN tartans are unofficial and not accepted by any of the military branches. They are tribute or commemorative tartans and free for anyone to wear." These patterns are no more special than any other pattern. Things are what you make of them. If someone would be offended because one wore a "navy" tartan or a "first day of may" tartan that is their problem, not the wearers. It makes no difference if one wears any pattern without having to "honor" any group. That "honor" is just something the offended person has added to a piece of fabric.
    Insperata Floruit! - Flourished Unexpectedly!

KABOOM; Kilted Christians; Kilted In Carolina; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group; R Kilts are Awesome; SEKS - The Great Southeastern Kilt Society; The Order of the Dandelion

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Balaamsass51 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balaamsass51 View Post
    As Kiltedreenactor posted "The US Army, USMC, USAF, and USN tartans are unofficial and not accepted by any of the military branches. They are tribute or commemorative tartans and free for anyone to wear." These patterns are no more special than any other pattern. Things are what you make of them. If someone would be offended because one wore a "navy" tartan or a "first day of may" tartan that is their problem, not the wearers. It makes no difference if one wears any pattern without having to "honor" any group. That "honor" is just something the offended person has added to a piece of fabric.
    thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    The US Army, USMC, USAF, and USN tartans are unofficial and not accepted by any of the military branches. They are tribute or commemorative tartans and free for anyone to wear.
    As long as you are not trying to pass yourself off as current or former service that you did not actually do, you should not have any problems. Most people in the wider world won't recognize the pattern, and those who do typically won't get huffy.

As for upsetting others... whatever you do or say, if someone isn't offended, then you aren't doing it right.
    The US Coast Guard is the ONLY US Military Tartan that are OFFICIAL, as the tartan is modeled after Alexander Hamilton, the Father of the USCG.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wear them proudly Stephanie....wear them proudly.

I was sorta in the Navy in NROTC in college and Sea Cadets in High School...but I wear the Navy tartan kilt in honor of my Uncle Larry's service in War 2 and my cousin Bill's service in Viet Nam.

I was a cold warrior in the Marine Corps but I wear the Leatherneck tartan of my late brother Rory who was a USMC Drill Instructor

I was never in the U.S. Army but I wear that tartan in honor of my father's service in War 2 with the Army Air Corps in North Africa and my great Uncle Charlie's service in France in War I.

I was never in the Royal Air Force but the guy who designed that tartan and controlled it's distribution back then said my late father's service as a Montana boy come to England to fly Hurricanes as a Flying Sergeant in the RAF in 1942 qualified me to wear the RAF tartan.

Folks passing me on the street don't know that IF they happen to recognize the tartans...IF they had an issue for some reason I'd be happy to explain why I wore each of them. I've worn all of those tartans during our little town's annual Veteran's Day parades over the years. Always in the color guard leading the parade. Never had a comment. I have worn them each with pride and honor and trust you will too.
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 25th May 20 at 04:34 PM.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

10. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Wear them proudly Stephanie....wear them proudly.

I was sorta in the Navy in NROTC in college and Sea Cadets in High School...but I wear the Navy tartan kilt in honor of my Uncle Larry's service in War 2 and my cousin Bill's service in Viet Nam.

I was a cold warrior in the Marine Corps but I wear the Leatherneck tartan of my late brother Rory who was a USMC Drill Instructor

I was never in the U.S. Army but I wear that tartan in honor of my father's service in War 2 with the Army Air Corps in North Africa and my great Uncle Charlie's service in France in War I.

I was never in the Royal Air Force but the guy who designed that tartan and controlled it's distribution back then said my late father's service as a Montana boy come to England to fly Hurricanes as a Flying Sergeant in the RAF in 1942 qualified me to wear the RAF tartan.

Folks passing me on the street don't know that IF they happen to recognize the tartans...IF they had an issue for some reason I'd be happy to explain why I wore each of them. I've worn all of those tartans during our little town's annual Veteran's Day parades over the years. Always in the color guard leading the parade. Never had a comment. I have worn them each with pride and honor and trust you will too.
    Thank you. This really helps. 😊

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12