X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Odd selvedge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Odd selvedge

I have some fabric a fellow brought me to have a kilt made, he got it quite cheap probably because of this flaw. It seem to be a traditional selvedge and is perfectly fine on one edge but on the other the orange and green weft threads seem normal but all the other colour threads where they end jump across to where that colour occurs again. My question is can the just be cut off or will that cause problems. If I can’t cut them I suppose I'd have to hem the whole thing which would be a pain because he’s a big fella and that’s a lot of yardage. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
    Here’s the wonky edge

And the normal edge

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These loose ends are called 'floats' and are the normal result of a shuttle loom.

This type of loom starts with the shuttle, holding one color yarn, on one side. The shuttle is passed through the warp to the other side - and returned to where it began. This creates the true kilt selvage.

When the pattern requires a change in color a second shuttle is introduced with the first place on a shelf of the loom. The second color is then woven and the first is just idle.

Some Tartans with multiple colors will be woven with one shuttle per color.

When the first color is needed again the first shuttle is put back on and continues to weave. The gap between the colors creates long, loose ends. Floats.

This is normal. As this fabric is usually single width only one selvedge is needed. The other long end of the fabric becomes the top where the fabric is cut to the length of the kilt.

So don't worry about removing the floats. You will be cutting the fabric, along with with the floats, away anyway.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    This is normal. As this fabric is usually single width only one selvedge is needed. The other long end of the fabric becomes the top where the fabric is cut to the length of the kilt.
    Thanks Steve, yes I can see whats going on now but this is double width and I only have 5 yards so I will have to cut and join it. So for half the kilt that selvedge with the loose ends will still be there as the bottom edge so do you think it's still safe to cut them off?

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will need to hem both pieces of fabric after you cut.

Alternately you would cut the floats and carefully weave the ends into the fabric.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 24th May 20 at 02:07 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    You will need to hem both pieces of fabric after you cut.

Alternately you would cut the floats and carefully weave the ends into the fabric.
    Not what I hoped to hear but what I expected. The weaving idea crossed my mind and I suppose a better finish than a hem but extremely tedious. Thanks, I think hem it is.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just cut them tight to the selvedge and taking care not to nip the selvedge threads. There is no need to weave in the ends, they can't go anywhere.