X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    It couldn't be that the plaids were old and faded, unless they fade quickly! Because they only started wearing tartan, as far as I know, in 1864 and the latest some of those photos could be is 1869 (due to the doublet style changing).

Perhaps the plaids were a lighter-weight fabric than the trews, and were woven in different colours and/or in different tartans for reasons unknown.
    If, as you state, the plaids could have been worn starting in 1864 and the photos were taken as late as 1869, I would think it could reasonably explain some significant fading. Given the dyes used at the time and the fact that these plaids were worn in all manner of weather, plus likely laundered a few times over those years, I would be surprised if they didn't fade. It also may be that the trews were from a different weaver or tartan batch. The two factors combined (age and different sources) are probably both at play.

I really do like the look of those trews in your photo (the man with the feather bonnet) with the straps under the boots. That's a much tidier and tailored look than just a loose trouser bottom, and as someone who rides horses myself I know it would be a great help!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes indeed, that man is the Colonel of the Battalion and like all officers at that time would often be mounted.

That's the thing, Highland officers spent little of their time kilts then, due to being mounted and also spending much of their time in undress such as Blue Patrols. For Levee Dress it was kilts for sure, but in general it was trews or riding breeches, often made of tartan.

Here are officers, most in Patrols, the Colonel with riding boots. Some officers are in shell jackets, some in Full Dress with kilts. (It's the Seaforth Highlanders, not the regiment under discussion. But it's such a great photo.)

Back to the 91st tartan, I took a stab at trying to reconcile the paintings showing a red line in the 91st tartan with the black & white photos which don't seem to show a red line.

Here's one of the B&W photos.

My "what if" is: what if there's a red line in the middle of that dark swath in the middle of the green which doesn't show up in the photos. I quickly made this on a tartan generator thing:

The alternate would be that it's just a wide black stripe, and the tartan had no red at all.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 28th July 20 at 01:33 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123