X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tan-brown one is very nice. This tweed that Rocky is wearing in the photo in the link is also very nice.
    https://www.usakilts.com/bcp/product...23098/item/50/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the best colour for that tartan is grey

https://www.usakilts.com/grey-jacket-vest.html
    Last edited by OC Richard; 6th August 20 at 09:11 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Thanks!

Yes sometimes we have to take a long hard look at the closet and start jettisoning things! I used to do piping gigs in Full Dress, the last time was probably over ten years ago. So all that got sold on Ebay, to a piper up in Canada, I'm happy to say. (Nice to see things get worn rather than sitting in a closet.)

I had decided on a tweed, a Marton Mills tweed

but I'll have to rethink that when my Hunting Stewart Weathered tweed kilt arrives. I saw a smashing photo of an XMarker wearing a tan tweed jacket with Isle Of Skye, and I might go that direction. It will have to be a tweed that looks good with Isle Of Skye and my new Weathered kilt.

Here's the jackets I have, and the new kilt's tartan:

I think the jacket on the right, the Feldgrau one, will be fine.

For sure we pipers love our 8-yard kilts! But what happened was this: around fifteen years ago I joined a different band and the kilt they issued me was the most comfortable I had ever worn. It was heavyweight 16oz wool, yet it wasn't heavy or bulky.

So I measured the yardage in that kilt and it was around 6.5 yards. I should have known that due to the pleats across the backside being around 1 inch wide.

So when I came to order my Isle Of Skye kilt a decade ago I did the same thing: 16oz fabric, 1 inch pleats, meaning somewhere around 6 yards for my waist size.

Due to my waist size (I'm a big person) I gladly paid USA Kilts the extra $100 for the larger waist which (if I understand correctly) means another yard of fabric; my "5 yard kilt" will actually be a 6 yard kilt.
    Did you also have them construct the interior as they would their premier 8 yard kilt? It think the standard 5 yard lacks a stabilizer.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the jacket on the right, the Feldgrau one, will be fine.
    Actually, you may find when it arrives that ALL of those jackets work! I personally think the blue tweed might just be the most attractive combination.
    'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My kilt arrived yesterday!

I've not had time to do more than try it on (it fits great) and do a quick layout of some possible outfits.

L-R:

Made In Scotland (no maker label) Lovat Blue Argyll, vintage ginger sporran

Cooper & McKenzie Argyll, vintage brown & seal sporran

Wallace Collection black Argyll, black & seal sporran
    Last edited by OC Richard; 15th September 20 at 11:19 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As silly as this sounds thinking back on it, before seeing your pictures it had never occurred to me to try outfit combinations like this without putting them on. I've always just tried something, looked in a mirror, "nope", and repeat until I stumbled across something mildly acceptable.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure that's better!

I wanted photos of the combinations but there was nobody around to take photos of me wearing things and no mirror big enough for mirror-selfies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure that's better!

I wanted photos of the combinations but there was nobody around to take photos of me wearing things and no mirror big enough for mirror-selfies.
    I've been very happy with this little Joby + remote control for self-portraits with the smart phone.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    I've been very happy with this little Joby + remote control for self-portraits with the smart phone.
    I got one!

I did take a few pics, it works fine, the only thing is you can sort of see that one of my hands is operating the clicker.

I was thinking of how to tape the clicker to the back of my bagpipe's chanter so I can take pics of myself playing, operating the clicker with the thumb of my lower hand (which isn't doing anything when you're playing).

In any case I just added a Prince Charlie to the mix:

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally a photo of me wearing the new kilt!

I was piping yesterday for the British American Business Council charity golf tournament.

The outfit includes my 35-year-old Mackie Balmoral, the Cooper & McKenzie (Dundee) Argyll, Cheviot "bison" hose, and 1940s RG Lawrie (Glasgow) pipes.

Last edited by OC Richard; 23rd October 20 at 08:19 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast