X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just ordered my first USA Kilts kilt!

Ten years ago I bought my last kilt, an Isle Of Skye, and it's been my go-to kilt ever since.

With the recent discovery of Stewart ancestry a hankering for a Stewart kilt has been growing.

Finally today I put in my order with USA Kilts! I exchanged some messages with Rocky, got the details sorted; now the wait begins.

I went with the 5 yard kilt.

The fabric is the 16oz tweed tartan from Marton Mills in Hunting Stewart Weathered. I've never had a weathered tartan kilt and I'm really looking forward to it.

Here's what the fabric looks like. I love the subtle and muted appearance.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gorgeous, Richard! I like the muted tones in that too! Can't wait to see your pix when it comes through, and Rocky always delights.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look's great, I've been intrigued by the Tweed Tartans also. Can't wait to see and read your review.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! I bet you are excited! That's nice!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that will be a wonderful addition to your wardrobe. Can't wait to see the completed photos.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Oh that will be a wonderful addition to your wardrobe.
    Thanks! Yes it will be!

A small wardrobe it is, and in the last week it shrank even more!

I just sold on Ebay a kilt, several kilt jackets, several sporrans, brooches, crossbelts, a feather bonnet, a sgian, a dirk, all the military-style things I haven't worn in ages.

That has left me with a nice war chest to get things that will be worn! And first on the list was a Stewart kilt.

Other hankerings have been for brown ghillies, and check tweed. We shall see.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll be most pleased. Took a USA Kilt's 5 yard wool in Scott Green rafting down the Grand Canyon...it was soaked and dirtied but when the trip was over it hung out well and you could never tell it had been on that torture test. Your's is gonna last a long time.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! I just ordered a swatch from them for my next kilt. I will order a check tweed jacket and waistcoat too. And I'm also making room in my closet, selling items I haven't worn in years. I'm very interested to see which check tweed you decide to go with for your jacket and waistcoat.
    Just curious why you decided on a five yard kilt instead of the eight yard, deluxe model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up You can't go wrong with USA Kilts

I bought my first kilt (8 yard wool) from USA Kilts back in the early part of this year before all the covid-19 troubles. The folks there were great to deal with and I am quite happy with the kilt. Kudos to Rocky and his crew!

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tuathanach For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gun eagal View Post
    Congratulations! I just ordered a swatch from them for my next kilt. I will order a check tweed jacket and waistcoat too. And I'm also making room in my closet, selling items I haven't worn in years. I'm very interested to see which check tweed you decide to go with for your jacket and waistcoat.
    Thanks!

Yes sometimes we have to take a long hard look at the closet and start jettisoning things! I used to do piping gigs in Full Dress, the last time was probably over ten years ago. So all that got sold on Ebay, to a piper up in Canada, I'm happy to say. (Nice to see things get worn rather than sitting in a closet.)

I had decided on a tweed, a Marton Mills tweed

but I'll have to rethink that when my Hunting Stewart Weathered tweed kilt arrives. I saw a smashing photo of an XMarker wearing a tan tweed jacket with Isle Of Skye, and I might go that direction. It will have to be a tweed that looks good with Isle Of Skye and my new Weathered kilt.

Here's the jackets I have, and the new kilt's tartan:

I think the jacket on the right, the Feldgrau one, will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gun eagal View Post
    Just curious why you decided on a five yard kilt instead of the eight yard, deluxe model.
    For sure we pipers love our 8-yard kilts! But what happened was this: around fifteen years ago I joined a different band and the kilt they issued me was the most comfortable I had ever worn. It was heavyweight 16oz wool, yet it wasn't heavy or bulky.

So I measured the yardage in that kilt and it was around 6.5 yards. I should have known that due to the pleats across the backside being around 1 inch wide.

So when I came to order my Isle Of Skye kilt a decade ago I did the same thing: 16oz fabric, 1 inch pleats, meaning somewhere around 6 yards for my waist size.

Due to my waist size (I'm a big person) I gladly paid USA Kilts the extra $100 for the larger waist which (if I understand correctly) means another yard of fabric; my "5 yard kilt" will actually be a 6 yard kilt.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 5th August 20 at 04:29 PM.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast