X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    Welcome to the addiction! The K&C tartan is lovely and I've also been thinking about it but I'm going to pass for now -- but that's not because it's not a nice tartan! As an owner of several of USA Kilts' products, be aware that all of their products (EXCEPT for the casual kilt) are designed to be worn at your true waist but the casual kilt is designed to be worn at the jeans waist -- as far as I can tell. I have one casual and I thought I wanted to wear it at my true waist -- like my other kilts -- but I realised that it's designed to be worn lower. FYI! I should've ordered it one inch shorter! (Hey, if you're interested in buying it? Waist is about 35 inches, hips 40 inches, length 23 inches.)

Living in the US, it's interesting to wear a kilt regularly like I do. It's been a very interesting social experiment! Good luck with the home front. Wear it well, and look good and hopefully she'll come around. Anyway, I have NEVER encountered any violence when wearing a kilt and only once did I ever hear of anything NOT positive. I suspect that people who don't like my look are polite enough to keep it to themselves. But I hear LOADS of compliments! Even if someone says, "nice skirt!" then I look back at them and smile politely, while saying, "Thank you". Even if it's clear that the person is trying to mess with me, I'll be polite and thank them. I've NEVER had an issue.

Will you draw more attention? Hell yeah. But wear it well and be a good ambassador of tradition and I suspect you'll have to start wearing trousers again to avoid being delayed because of conversations!

Best wishes from Mass.,
    Jonathan

Jonathan from Mass, thank you! Glad to hear pretty much all of your interactions in a kilt have been positive. I have to say, the only negative reactions I've encountered so far are from family and friends; strangers are far kinder! The family will get used to it. More specifically, the German/Norwegian side will get used to it. The Scottish side loves it!

As for your USA Kilts casual, I might be interested. Those are pretty much my measurements. What's the tartan? Interesting you had trouble wearing it at your natural waist; I've only worn mine at the natural waist and it seems to work. But then, I don't have a proper wool kilt to compare it to yet.

Thanks again!

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wemedge For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wemedge View Post
    Jonathan from Mass, thank you! Glad to hear pretty much all of your interactions in a kilt have been positive. I have to say, the only negative reactions I've encountered so far are from family and friends; strangers are far kinder! The family will get used to it. More specifically, the German/Norwegian side will get used to it. The Scottish side loves it!

As for your USA Kilts casual, I might be interested. Those are pretty much my measurements. What's the tartan? Interesting you had trouble wearing it at your natural waist; I've only worn mine at the natural waist and it seems to work. But then, I don't have a proper wool kilt to compare it to yet.

Thanks again!
    Hey there,

By the way, I *think* the word "kilt" is Scandanavian in origin? Check that though!

My Casual kilt is really quite nice and I've worn it ... twice? It's a Glyndwyr tartan. I don't actually have any trouble wearing it ... it's just that I'm VERY picky! The kilt wears fine at the natural waist but I think I'd prefer THIS one to be at the jeans waist. If someone wants to buy it off of me, then I'm going to get the same thing from USA Kilts but in a 22 inch length instead. It's the usual and very nice PV fabric. Lemme know via PM?

best,
    Jonathan

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    I *think* the word "kilt" is Scandanavian in origin?
    Yes just on the face of it, because Old English had very few words with K- or hard C- (which generally got softened to CH in English cf Old Norse Kirk v English Church). All of our SK- words are Norse.

Looked "kilt" up, very interesting, yes from Old Norse "kilting" (skirt) related to "kjalta" (lap) and is said to be cognate with English "child".
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123